Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best lightweight tarp

freu1chr

Last year i bought a tarp last minute from Walmart that was bulky and heavy but was one of the best pieces of gear i brought. Just wondering if anyone has an option that is waterproof and light weight. I used it has a mat in my vestibule and as a cover in the rain during lunch. Thanks in advance.

I like the Redcamp ones from Amazon. Not top shelf, but better than most when it comes to weight, price, and durability. I have several sizes that I choose from depending on what I am needing on that hunt: bivy cover for just me, bivy cover for a group, glassing cover, unexpected showers, or a place to lay meat when quartering. You’re right essential kit.

Seekoutside DST, viamoutdoor makes some really nice stuff. Also Stone Glacier has a new tarp out.

Love my Sitka tarp (flash shelter is what it was called I think). I would have never bought it but my Dad got for me and I used 100 times in multiple different ways last year.

Lots of good options. If it's doing double duty on the ground I'd probably lean toward cheaper and just replace it now and then. I use mine a ton but not on the ground; I like the Hilleberg Tarp 5.

I’ve used DST for several years. I am now using a Seek Outside Eolus which is basically the same weight as The DST but has much better storm coverage. I still love The DST and it comes along in addition when weight is not an issue. The Eolus has more condensation issues. 02CD4811-DB3A-49B0-8142-1A36FB6604BB.jpeg

I tried out this tipi off Amazon. Was nicer than expected. Came in around 2.5 lbs and just used my hiking poles as the center pole. Low bulk , nice for two guys. I tested it out in the backyard during a storm and it held up great. Still prefer a light bivey when by myself but nice for two guys on an archery hunt.A6ABF9E4-6804-40F1-980B-94979EAD3184.jpeg83C2E3F0-8D8C-4634-90F3-DD4ABE9EC16B.jpeg4CE4F427-BCCA-490A-A62F-B08288A9893F.png

I tried out this tipi off Amazon. Was nicer than expected. Came in around 2.5 lbs and just used my hiking poles as the center pole. Low bulk , nice for two guys. I tested it out in the backyard during a storm and it held up great. Still prefer a light bivey when by myself but nice for two guys on an archery hunt.View attachment 268387View attachment 268388View attachment 268389
LOOKS like the rain fly on my ooold FJALRAVEN single person mountaineering tent......found the fly worked fine and did not need the actual tent.......gave it all to a younger fellow I know who was going after mountain goat.........he was shocked at the price of a light weight -quality model.....I did not tell him that his NEW tent was 30+ years old.

Back