MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best Home Field Advantage!

DHaffner

I saw another thread that got me thinking. If you were 18 and had a choice to live anywhere in the Continental US, which state would be best. What state has the best opportunity for residents?

I don't think i could ever leave MT tried once and found myself right back there in a year. That being said my vote would be MT.

Good thread might see a lot of different answers. Whats your vote DH?

Montana gets my vote.

Wyoming would be 2nd

Colorado could be the place, but our Big Game seasons are way too crowded and seasons are way too short. :mad:

Smalltown Texas was pretty sweet in 1969...but California was a blast that summer.

...tough question.

It's really hard to say, I just don't know enough about the other states to have an opinion. I know SD's limited access to Elk/sheep/mt goats mean it is not the winner. However by the responses to this thread I think some of you are confusing the two legged split tail as a big game sport animal, I would have to classify them as a "fowl"...:D

With the new laws wouldn't new mexico be up there with the majority of tags for residents and a good selection of game including exotics?

With the new laws wouldn't new mexico be up there with the majority of tags for residents and a good selection of game including exotics?

I would still put New Mexico below several of the other states because of the lack of OTC licenses for residents.

With the guide requirement for wilderness in Wyoming I would probably put it at the top of the list with the most readily available hunting access for residents above and beyond those available for nonguided nonresidents. You still have OTC elk and deer tags for residents and if you want to you could hunt antelope every year pretty much as well. If you're young you could pretty much be guaranteed a sheep, goat and moose hunt in your lifetime at the resident pricetag. You can put in for some premium elk hunts every year as well and should be able to hunt some nice units every few years doing that.

Montana would be a very close runner up, with everything that Wyoming has except they don't have the guide requirement in wilderness areas like Wyoming does so you aren't locked out of anywhere as a nonresident there. They only thing that might swing Montana ahead of Wyoming would be a little higher quality on the sheep and goats, but that is a once in a lifetime type thing so I wouldn't put too much weight on that. They do have a little more options available for trapping namely the fact that you can still trap wolverines in Montana.

Colorado and Idaho would come in tied for 3rd. They have pretty much everything Montana and Wyoming have, but I'm not as familiar with them and they don't seem to have the quality of animals that Montana and Wyoming do as a whole. Colorado has the best mule deer in the world, but an area that they are way behind in is trapping. If I was a young guy living in one of those states, I would be trapping during the winter time. With the cage trap requirement that Colorado has that puts a serious damper on trapping the cannine species. You can still get bobcats and coon, but trapping coyotes is a lot of fun and a great challenge.

New Mexico would probably be next simply because there are no OTC tags available, and then probably Utah. Arizona and Nevada would come in after that, then I have no idea with California, Washington and Oregon.

That's my thoughts. Nathan

If my life revolved around hunting I would probably say CO or maybe MT.

18 and pure fun I would have to go with SOCAL.

I would still put New Mexico below several of the other states because of the lack of OTC licenses for residents.

With the guide requirement for wilderness in Wyoming I would probably put it at the top of the list with the most readily available hunting access for residents above and beyond those available for nonguided nonresidents. You still have OTC elk and deer tags for residents and if you want to you could hunt antelope every year pretty much as well. If you're young you could pretty much be guaranteed a sheep, goat and moose hunt in your lifetime at the resident pricetag. You can put in for some premium elk hunts every year as well and should be able to hunt some nice units every few years doing that.

Montana would be a very close runner up, with everything that Wyoming has except they don't have the guide requirement in wilderness areas like Wyoming does so you aren't locked out of anywhere as a nonresident there. They only thing that might swing Montana ahead of Wyoming would be a little higher quality on the sheep and goats, but that is a once in a lifetime type thing so I wouldn't put too much weight on that. They do have a little more options available for trapping namely the fact that you can still trap wolverines in Montana.

Colorado and Idaho would come in tied for 3rd. They have pretty much everything Montana and Wyoming have, but I'm not as familiar with them and they don't seem to have the quality of animals that Montana and Wyoming do as a whole. Colorado has the best mule deer in the world, but an area that they are way behind in is trapping. If I was a young guy living in one of those states, I would be trapping during the winter time. With the cage trap requirement that Colorado has that puts a serious damper on trapping the cannine species. You can still get bobcats and coon, but trapping coyotes is a lot of fun and a great challenge.

New Mexico would probably be next simply because there are no OTC tags available, and then probably Utah. Arizona and Nevada would come in after that, then I have no idea with California, Washington and Oregon.

That's my thoughts. Nathan

Great reply, thanks...

Even though New Mexico doesn't have OTC tags for residents they don't give out many tags to NR so you still stand a good chance at getting tags since there are not many people living there. I think Albuquerque is about the only sizeable population and that 's not saying much compared to competing against all the folks who live in Phoenix, Denver, or Salt Lake metro areas. Wyoming and MT have less competetion from residents as well with few people in the state. Every year NM produces some 180" rocky mtn rams and the opportunity for Desert sheep as well. The antelope hunting is definetly one of the best for trohy quality. Not to mention the Ibex, Oryx, and Barbaray Sheep that nowhere else can offer.

On Deer B+C entries since 1986
Colorado 112, ID 83, NM 65, Wy 61, UT 59, AZ 44, NV 19 , MT 14

On B+C elk in the last 10 years
AZ 75, UT 69, NM 33, NV 31, WY 20, CO 12, ID 9, MT 6

As you see MT is a quantity not quality state except for Sheep which they are the hands down the best.

Colorado is the best trophy quality on deer but a quantity state on elk due to the the OTC tags for NR's.

I'd say on trophy quality NM and WY are propably the best based on data but the huge difference is the amount of tags WY gives to NR's versus NM who barely gives any. Thats what I see whan I look at the data and say NM is the best trophy state for residents. I definelty don't see MT close to the top in trophy quality at anything but sheep and thats a once in a lifetime if your lucky.

I guess I forgot to go over UT. Way too many mormons for me.
And ID. I truthfull don't know much about ID but it would appear a good quality state for trophies with few resident to compete aginst for tags.
Propably 3rd behind NM and WY IMO. Remember to take this opinion like a grain of salt since I am an idiot who lives in Oklahoma, arguably one of the dumbest and most overweight states in the country .

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back