Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Beginner Guide to Reloading - What equipment did you upgrade early on?

gwhunter

So I'm going to be taking the plunge into reloading starting from absolute scratch. No equipment or knowledge on how to do it other than basic rifle and ballistic knowledge needed to use a hunting rifle(and of course what i've picked up through osmosis reading through HT).​

As I'm doing my investigating into the process and learning the 'how' to do it, it's looking like I'm going to be coming to a crossroads with this new hobby just like hunting/fishing. Needing to get all of the 'entry-level' equipment to even get into the game vs. getting equipment I won't ever need to replace. So my question is as follows:

For the serious re-loaders, what equipment did you find yourself replacing or wanting to replace right off the bat? I'm not rolling in cash, but have the discretionary funds to splurge on those 1 or 2 items that will eventually get replaced anyway. For a hunting comparison, going from the Bushnell binoculars to the BX-3s would have saved me $100 had I just bought the BX-3s to begin with. What have you found that you just "had" to replace eventually? I will likely get to a point where I will just "NEED" to replace certain things, but don't know what I don't know, yet. (Powder scale, press, calipers, etc.?)

As an example, is an Area 419 - Zero reloading press 'worth it' or is the Rock Chucker or Hornady Kit going to get me by for my entire reloading career? I don't shoot at matches and my reloading will only be for my hunting rifles, if that matters. I currently have 3 rifle calibers and 3 handgun calibers I would want to reload for. Thoughts on what you wish you would have bought from the start?

p.s As an additional question, what equipment did you find that the juice wasn't worth the squeeze for creating hunting rounds? I think of an annealer as possibly fitting into this category. Or maybe it was SOOO worth it? What else fits into/not into this category?

The rock chucker press has been the standard all other single stage presses are judged by for a very long time. If the rock chucker kit is still available, that is where I would recommend you start. A digital scale is a nice upgrade but you can get by for a long time with the balance scale. Like most things, you can get as deep into the weeds as you want or have the time and money for with reloading but it doesn't have to be overly complicated with cool gadgets.

Rockchucker is the standard and will never fail you.

Case prep station is a biggie.

Buy a stainless media tumbler first. Skip the dry media tumblers.

Digital scale is worth its weight in gold.

Buy good brass!! Hornady will get you shooting but is a waste of money long term.

Lapua is expensive to start but will far outlast cheap brass. In effect making it cheaper per shot.

High volume shooting requires a more extensive set of tools such as a annealer.

Splurge on a good chronograph. You need good data to have good reloads.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Get an electronic powder dispenser and and scale combo. A balance beam scale is the worst thing ever invented. I would quit reloading if I had to go back to that slow and inconsistent piece of crap beam scales.

A prep station is very handy. No worry about a tumbler, it’s definitely not needed.

Rock Chucker Supreme press is what I started with and I see no reason to ever change.

Buy a reloading manual - the ones I have have a few chapters at the beginning that will walk you through the reloading process and the variables. Read them, it helps alot. If you buy a kit, there will likely be one included.

Most single stage presses will do good - I have Hornady. Rockchuckers are good, too. I bought the kit a long time ago and still use it. I don't believe the press you use will make a difference in your end product.

Buy decent dies, but you don't need to go overboard. The micrometer adjustable seating dies aren't necessary, especially for hunting rounds.

A powder drop is nice - I'd consider the Lee powder drop to keep cost down. It's cheap and it's pretty accurate. A good digital scale makes the process easier. An electric powder dispenser speeds things up, but for hunting you're not really churning out 100s of rounds so I don't think it's necessary. Powder consistency is probably the biggest variable you can control to make accurate rounds, so a powder trickler is a good thing to use. It is nice to have a non-battery powered scale as a double check, or as a backup (I've had experiences with electrical gadgetry going back at inopportune times).

I'm not a brass snob and will shoot mixed headstamp brass. I'm not saying that's the best approach, but it is the most economical and can deliver good results. As said above, Lapua is good but expensive, Hornady does not get a lot of love, Winchester has been functional for me. If I were buying brass new, I would buy Starline. Lots of good reviews from the competition shooters I talk to that have evaluated it as an option for Lapua. New brass needs to be sized prior to loading.

You will need sizing lube - I've tried a bunch, and have mostly settled on Hornady One Shot case lube when doing alot of rounds. You spray it on, but you need to make sure it's dry before starting the sizing process. If I'm only doing a few, I use Imperial Die Wax.

Most powered accessories are suited for doing things in bulk. You can buy these as you see fit. Stainless media isn't necessary but will make your brass look very pretty. Dry media costs less and is easier, but the results aren't as 'stunning'. The dry media works really well for your pistol brass.

Neil

Powder scale/dispenser is probably the best upgrade if you can find a good one. I haven't found one yet that doesn't have as many bad reviews as good ones until you hit the $1,000 mark.

competition dies and shell holders were my upgrade

AMP annealer will be next upgrade, currently using a friends

Beam scale gets set with check weight kit every every time I reload

never used a prep station
never used a chrono
quit using the tumbler

Powder scale/dispenser is probably the best upgrade if you can find a good one. I haven't found one yet that doesn't have as many bad reviews as good ones until you hit the $1,000 mark.

never used a chrono
That's 3 for a dispenser. Any experience with the Hornady? I've also seen there are just as many negative as positive reviews. Would have never thought the lights in the basement would mess with it!!

For not having a chrono, are you just working up till you see signs of pressure and then backing down? Or just loading what the manual says and seeing which gives the best groups without pressure signs?
I was actually thinking a big "splurge" was going to be a labradar.

That's 2 people recommending a digital scale. Was leaning toward the Hornady Auto Charge. Anyone have any preferences?

I use a RCBS charge master. I can’t go back to a beam scale.

For lower production reloading a simple jewlers scale works. I used one for years before getting the charge master.

I was actually thinking a big "splurge" was going to be a labradar.
I would love to have one but my budget got me a Magnetospeed.

As far as I’m concerned a way to tell speed is an absolutely critical part of reloading. Especially if you stretch out your shooting. Sub 300 it may not matter, but this rabbit hole will have you airing out some lead.

Buy a reloading manual - the ones I have have a few chapters at the beginning that will walk you through the reloading process and the variables. Read them, it helps alot. If you buy a kit, there will likely be one included.
Was there a manual that you really liked? I'm getting a lot of stuff from youtube videos and reading blog posts or shooting forum posts. But I'm not really getting the 'complete package' in a walkthrough from first step to firing the shot (and post shot analysis) that I would like.

I use a RCBS charge master. I can’t go back to a beam scale.

For lower production reloading a simple jewlers scale works. I used one for years before getting the charge master.

I think this was one of the main motivations of my post. To try to figure out what the "worth the upgrade" costs were to attempt to avoid them right at the beginning. It's looking like there is a pretty strong consensus about not needing to spend big on the press. Which, coincidentally, I was going to spend big on; for the only reason being I thought a bigger price tag meant 'better'. So thank you all for the help!

Noslers is available free online. Any powder manufacturer has one free online.

That being said I still reference the one that came with my Rockchucker kit. It’s not necessary but convenient sitting right there on the desk. Mainly for cartridge measurement data verses load data.

I would love to have one but my budget got me a Magnetospeed.

As far as I’m concerned a way to tell speed is an absolutely critical part of reloading. Especially if you stretch out your shooting. Sub 300 it may not matter, but this rabbit hole will have you airing out some lead.
The most recent purchase that got me down this rabbit hole was a Vanguard High Country in 6.5prc. So i'm looking to crack 3K and get as deep down this rabbit hole as I can go!!!

Mainly for cartridge measurement data verses load data.
I think that is the part that has my barrier to entry so high is I'm not really hip to technical measurement and the tools needed to acquire those skills and data. Seeing people describe differences in thousandths of an inch and being able to measure correctly and realiably has me to most worried. I've even casually learned there is a love/hate around some of the OAL tools and such.

Anyone have a set of measuring tools that was worth the upgrade/cost?

The most recent purchase that got me down this rabbit hole was a Vanguard High Country in 6.5prc. So i'm looking to crack 3K and get as deep down this rabbit hole as I can go!!!
That’s easy depending on the bullet. I shoot a 260ai with the 127lrx at 3150. The PRC would be faster.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back