Bear Tactics

bjtc_brian

Okay, I posted this in another thread, but it made me think I should ask this question.

What is your tactic for finding bears?

Mine basically it so drive every open road I can and glass as much as possible. I have done quite a bit of hiking and glassing in areas I know bears exist(live in the fall at least), but have never seen one in the spring.

Also, what are your thoughts on when/where the bears show up in the spring. It is still darn cold out at night. Would the be out already?

A friend of mine saw a couple of bears out near missoula a few days ago but it is still very early for black bears.

I primarily hunt bears in NW Montana and up here it is steep with thick timber for the most part. I find the majority of bears on very steep cliffy terrain that is facing at least slightly south. Moisture collects on the ledges and helps produce early lush grass/glacier lilies ect.

Avalanche chutes tend to shed snow quickly to expose disturbed soil and greenery so they are good places to look as well. Walking old closed logging roads that have been planted with grass can be productive. Brushy green creek bottoms can hold bears too, but hunting there can lead to a very close encounter.

Some of my best bear spots have an open road running right through them, and I see quite a bit of traffic driving along and glassing. Guess what, they usually dont see the bears I am watching from the spot I hiked up to. I drive around and glass some as well but I tend to see way more bears and bigger bears in spots not visible from roads.

look for the wild onions on north facing slopes,,,when the flowers are purple bears love them,,,also skunk cabbage in the bottoms when they are flowering are another favorite.warm nice days will have more movement also.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back