Bear bait in july

Trap

Well life got in the way. My son and I are pretty avid bear hunters each spring but haven’t been able to do much yet. We are planning to run 1 bait in a unit that’s open till July 30th. Just wondering what hunter’s experience has been that have ran a bait into July? We will probably only hunt into the first week or 2 of July max. Not really interested in comments on hide quality etc. more interested in the effectiveness of baits at that time of year. We are pretty high and there was still significant pockets of snow around and on the road a few weeks ago. Everything is completely burned off at this point. We like bear meat and will keep the hide but literally have over 20 hanging tanned hides and 3 bear mounts already. More interested in the meat. It’s my favorite game to make sausage out of. Im not sure how many people have run a bait into July? We normally do our baits May to first week of June. We have taken quite a few bears spot and stalk but at this time of year I think baits will be way more effective. The brush is on steroids up there this year ha ha. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Here I found after June 10 or so it’s tough running baits as so much food out there. I shot a big boar last year June 29 his fur was still good but only way I could get bears on bait was beaver carcasses and of course beavers rot very quickly when it’s the summer heat

Here I found after June 10 or so it’s tough running baits as so much food out there. I shot a big boar last year June 29 his fur was still good but only way I could get bears on bait was beaver carcasses and of course beavers rot very quickly when it’s the summer heat
Thanks! I was worried about that but only could think of huckleberries. I don’t think we will see them till mid July at the earliest. What other natural food sources are coming out?

Thanks! I was worried about that but only could think of huckleberries. I don’t think we will see them till mid July at the earliest. What other natural food sources are coming out?
Here just grass but they lost interest in my normal bear bait of old pastries and bread and grease. In July around here would be start of berries popping out but our seaosn closes June 30

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back