Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Barnes .285 145gr LRX

Gunner46

Just wondering if any HT's have had the chance to try these yet. I was thinking these might work to be a good compromise weight/bullet for my 7mm/08, if I could get around 2700-2750fps from them, with reasonable accuracy.

I use them in my 7mm mag. I worked up a nice load last year and have taken a lope and two whitetail does/ Performed well and held accuracy out to 500 yards on paper. Took the goat at a little over 400 yards and one whitetail at a little over 100 and the other at 60 yards.

I have used barnes tsx line and offspring since 2004.

I have been loading them since they became available. They replaced the MRX line a couple of years ago. I have not shot an animal with them yet but on paper they are awesome. 3100fps with 64gr RL22 Federal brass and CCI primers COAL of 3.30" and .050 off the lands. Hopefully they will drop a mulie later this year

I have been loading them since they became available. They replaced the MRX line a couple of years ago. I have not shot an animal with them yet but on paper they are awesome. 3100fps with 64gr RL22 Federal brass and CCI primers COAL of 3.30" and .050 off the lands. Hopefully they will drop a mulie later this year

Were very close, I am at 64.6 RL22 and 3150 fps, win brass, fed mag match primers out of my rem 700.

Disclaimer: Always start low and consult manufacturers load data before you develp a load for your rifle.

They work well in my 7RM, found these in an elk that was 300yds away. Started at 3,100 fps.

That said, I've been experimenting with 120 in my 7x57 and 284 winchester (though my 284 is a lever and have OAL constraints)

Last edited:
I've tried the LRX in 7 RUM and 7 mag...couldn't (or didn't tinker long enough) get em to replicate TTSX or TSX accuracy.

I shoot 140grain E-tips in my 7mm-08...my concern is that at extended distances or lower velocities that all copper bullets will not expand as necessary to create a good wound channel. At the moment I haven't had that problem but there is a possibility. There is also a chance that your rifling twist may be too slow for copper bullets but at the lower velocities that may not be an issue

After this season, I'm switching back to Accubonds for my 7mm-08.

Tried the 145 in my 7stw. The 140 TSX grouped better so that's what I shot this year. 1/2 moa out to 600.

Shot one of this years Antelope at 500 and the wound was "extreme". I believe "light for caliber" is the way to go when using Barnes.

2400 fps when my lrx hit the pronghorn, full expansion like I have had for the last decade. No special twist is required, the twist rate is a matter bullet weight not composition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back