Az pronghorn: KHunter archery 2014

Saw a real decent? buck a mile or so away. Could not cipher how to get to him and was not real sure he was the one, guess not.

Here is a photo from the end of a fun first "scouting" day. Hopefully looks as nice as it does on my phone. Just missed getting two bucks side by side in the pic. The other bailed off the ridge too quick.

Shortly before this picture saw a couple rag horns running through antelope country.

No whoppers spotted but a nice warm up day.image.jpg

Last edited:
Khunter,

What unit are you hunting in AZ? Can you tell us the general condition of the range/habitat and the length/mass of the horns you are seeing. Many of us are probably curious to see if the spring rains helped antler growth any.

Think I have a good one to stalk. Headed for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
So I stalk that buck a mile and got "him" in to 10 feet. Only problem was it was a different buck altogether. Note the decoy to the left. He is THAT close. But passed to let him grow up. Got a ton of pictures at super close range.

He stayed with 25 yards and circles for 5 minutes. Never busted out despite getting a good whiff of me and all my movement hold camera over decoy, etc. Neat experience.

Saw 14 or so bucks today but only the one "good" one.image.jpg

Last edited:
Super cool. Encounters like that; days like that, are why we hunt. Keep it going. Looking forward to tomorrow's encounters.

Super cool. Encounters like that; days like that, are why we hunt. Keep it going. Looking forward to tomorrow's encounters.

Exactly, if you can't love an experience like that you need to pack up and go home.

Before I arrived, the area biologists suggested that I shoot anything from high 70s to low 70s as that might be about it this year. I am beginning to wonder but I've got some more days to really look. Dink advised there is no reason to rush to get back for OTC rag horn elk in Colorado. True dat when hunting in Arizona on a once in 15 year tag.

Last edited:
Dink advised there is no reason to rush to get back for OTC rag horn elk in Colorado. True dat when hunting in Arizona on a once in 15 year tag.

Took me 17 points also to draw my AZ tag. My wife wanted to join me but I told her best if she stayed home, I didn't want any pressure to hurry up and get one. Told her it took 15 years to draw and I was going to hunt until the end if I had to. Took 5 days.

Good luck !

Awesome stuff. I drew lope in AZ on my first try back in 97. Unit 19A. I've also eaten an AZ strip muletail permit. I'd suggest hunting as many days as possible as you won't be back anytime soon. I'd have done nothing different on my deer hunt. Hunt it out - good luck man! Shoot the one you dream about.

Three lone bucks spotted as climbing out of bed of truck to start the day. All lone bucks. All not of 'size' that I could tell. Noticed on the sign in sheet one T. Grimmett is guiding in here.

Here is one of the 3.image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back