AYCE Wy elk tags

Bigjay73

Potential shit show, or good idea?

It will allow those with the access to shoot unlimited cow elk, could help some ranchers.
Now instead of 3 elk tags we'll have lots, if only the elk cooperate.

I'm hoping WG&F steps up with access yes payments to open up some ground.

If those that only allow limited access let the people they let on go gang busters and shoot unlimited cows, wouldn’t that pressure help push the animals around at least a bit and maybe push some back on to public? While I realize that greater access would probably work way better, this would have to shuffle the deck at least a little I think.

In Montana it didn't make it better and I'd say made the problem Worse. When they started issuing OTC cow tags across much of the so-called over objective areas, It targets accessible elk, all while the inaccessible elk herds continue growing. End result a few years down the road is less accessible elk to the general hunter and more inaccessible elk and still over objective.

But the ranchers lands are "overrrun". Surely they'd open their gates to the general public in such a state of emergency 🙄
Potential shit show, or good idea?

If the tags are PLO and they are only good during regular elk seasons for that unit, I can see this being a good thing. Some elk are killed on the private, some get killed when they leave for public.

If they are unit wide and good for 3 months, it will make the problem worse.

Sh it show. You can't get access to the property that the elk live on with minimal pressure if any, during the hunting season.

You can give the entire world elk licenses. Without the access to private ranches, there will be minimal impact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back