Arizona Sandhill crane

Azuknowho

I got drawn for a November crane hunt for SE Arizona. This is my first experience with crane hunting. Anyone in the area able to impart a little wisdom to a noob waterfowl hunter?

TIA.

Crane hunting might be the most underrated waterfowl hunting out there. I look forward to shooting these birds. Here's some thoughts.

1. DIY own decoys. The Silosocks are really too dark, and anything else is just to dang expensive.
2. Get a call, learn it, and then use it only when birds are high, shut up when they begin to descend.
3. Treat it somewhat like a big game hunt: scout out the areas, they are very easy to pattern. Look for feeding areas.
4. Camo up as these guys will spot you like no other bird.
5. Leave the dog at home. They can kill one with their 5-6" beak. Seriously.
6. If you want to put a bird on the wall, or rather on the floor, then try to shoot one that has much less rust on the butt. The blue-gray color is what you are looking for.
7. These birds mate for life, so you will generally see pairs or small groups nor more than 15 or so. Try to shoot the pair if you can, just humane IMO.
8. Treat the meat like red meat. It's very different than ducks and geese.
9. Post up some pics when you are successful!

YUP ^^^^^:hump:

There a kick to hunt and eyes that will rival an Antelope.
Great eating . We spot and stock them in the wheat fields.
We have to be drawn also.

A few years back;

101_1231_zpsfgvawfgy.jpg

cr%20a_zpswtjteevu.jpg

Meat Eater podcast episode 24.
Rinella and a few guests talk a lot about hunting ribeye of the sky.

Thanks all. I've heard the podcast and that's what got me thinking I should put in for the draw. My only experience waterfowl hunting was a jr. Duck camp with my nephew.

My plans for now get a call and practice and try and figure out a decoy. Then get scouting.

Crane hunting might be the most underrated waterfowl hunting out there. I look forward to shooting these birds. Here's some thoughts.

1. DIY own decoys. The Silosocks are really too dark, and anything else is just to dang expensive.
2. Get a call, learn it, and then use it only when birds are high, shut up when they begin to descend.
3. Treat it somewhat like a big game hunt: scout out the areas, they are very easy to pattern. Look for feeding areas.
4. Camo up as these guys will spot you like no other bird.
5. Leave the dog at home. They can kill one with their 5-6" beak. Seriously.
6. If you want to put a bird on the wall, or rather on the floor, then try to shoot one that has much less rust on the butt. The blue-gray color is what you are looking for.
7. These birds mate for life, so you will generally see pairs or small groups nor more than 15 or so. Try to shoot the pair if you can, just humane IMO.
8. Treat the meat like red meat. It's very different than ducks and geese.
9. Post up some pics when you are successful!
Appreciate this post. Going for the first time this year just east of Tucson, AZ.

YUP ^^^^^:hump:

There a kick to hunt and eyes that will rival an Antelope.
Great eating . We spot and stock them in the wheat fields.
We have to be drawn also.

A few years back;

101_1231_zpsfgvawfgy.jpg

cr%20a_zpswtjteevu.jpg
curious the wheat fields are usually farmers fields correct? I was looking at some public land but doesn't look like much around for AZ. Crane.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Bornlzr
Back