Caribou Gear Tarp

Arizona Late Elk

Can't get on wifi tonight..will try from my phone.

The plan was drawn up last night based on the sighting of a nice bull. Problem was it was viewed from miles away and to get near him we'd have to go in very early by moonlight to an area we'd only seen via google earth. We headed out at 4:30 to try and beat any other hunters. There are a lot of tags for this hunt and it shows; camps everywhere. We obeyed the road closure rules and made the 2 mile trek. Along the way we found a vehicle parked in the bush from other hunters who do not share the same appetite for following the rules. We set up in a good grassing position and waited for first light. At first light we started glassing before long I had spotted 2 bulls about 500 yards away slowly walking towards us in the canyon below. With all the hunting pressure we decided not to sit and wait. We would try to move as fast as we could along the top of the ridge we were on hoping to get directly above them. In short order we were in a spot above where we thought they would be. We peeked over the edge and Randy quickly spotted the bulls bedded in the trees. We quickly tried to set up with me in the shooting position and camera guy on the bulls. Before we were set up the bulls decided something wasn't quite right and slowly got up and began moving away from us and out of sight.
Continued in the next post

We did another dash across the top of the ridge to where we thought they were headed. Once we got there we were disappointed in that the vegetation was so thick we couldn't see anything and even if we did, the filming lanes simply weren't there. Randy devised a plan whereby I would head back to our last position and he would head down the canyon, cut them off and hopefully push them back towards me.

The plan worked as we hoped and the bulls were soon crashing their way back towards me. They got to about where the had bedded previously and then proceeded to climb out of the canyon directly across from me. The smaller bull went first and allowed me time to get set up and range him at 225 yards. I clicked the CDS dial to 230 and waited for the larger bull. Within a minute he followed the smaller bull and stopped broadside, just as the smaller bull had done. After being given the thumbs up, I held on him and fired. It appeared I missed so I chambered another round. He stopped 25 yards further and I sent some more lead his way. This time I connected and he dropped instantly.

After Randy arrived we headed over to look over our good fortune. He's a great bull, one that I am extremely happy with. I don't know what he scores and frankly don't care. He's everything I had hoped for.

Randy had an opportunity to shoot a nice albeit broken bull minutes after I shot mine but he decided to pass. The spot we found is nice and I have no doubt Randy will find a bull in there.

The hunt isn't over but I already owe a great deal of gratitude to many people.

Time to get some sleep... we got another bull to get tomorrow.

Congrats Lee.

That is a great bull and I'm happy you found him so early in the hunt. Pressure is off and now you can go find another for Randy.

Good luck guys. Enjoy that amazing Arizona landscape.

Great bull Lee - love the color/contrast on him! Sorry but not surprised to hear the crowd isn't obeying the closures. Good luck, Fin.

Leave some good bulls for next year. I've decided I'm going to draw AZ two years in a row. ;)

Great Team Work!! Congrats to the Minnesotan, way to go Lee! For those of us that don't get to see such magnifent animals on a regular basis it has to be an even bigger thrill. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us!! Best wishes to Randy now!

Four bulls bedded below us in the cedar jungles. Last sighting they were at 450 yards. One really nice 5 X 5 that will get shot before any off the six pointers.

We have all day gentlemen. Would one volunteer please rise so we can proceed with this production?

Awesome! Sounds like you guys have a great spot. Good luck on the 5x5 Randy.

Lets see, how long is it going to be before the video on this one comes out? Waay too long.

Good luck.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back