Caribou Gear Tarp

Archery Equivalent of Long Range Shooting Handbook

MADGRZ

Hey guys,

I don't have any formal training in shooting my bow other than the hour at the archery shop in Helena (Capital Sports) when I bought it. I read the "Long Range Shooting Handbook" by Cleckner and it was a game-changer for my rifle shooting. Nothing super technical, just easy to understand and implement basic foundational things. For example, never knew to focus on the reticle (as opposed to the target).

So, what would be the equivalent book to level-up my accuracy with my bow?

Thank you!

MADGRZ

I’d say just shoot your bow a lot, everyday if you can. No amount of reading or video watching is going to substitute for reps. Obviously you have to know about proper form and be able to replicate it, tons of free resources online for that. And for hunting, trying to get high stress and situational reps (elevated heart rate and muscle fatigue, extreme pressure from small targets or friends watching, chance to ruin arrows if you miss, competition, extreme long shots, uphill/downhill/wind/rain/hot/cold, exposing yourself to things that will cause you target panic, etc). The best thing for me is having a spare dozen or two of arrows at home, then you’re less afraid to practice difficult shots. My friends that have 5 arrows in their arsenal and only shoot 30 yards on big targets because they are afraid to lose an arrow, are terrible shots and don’t have much hunting success.

As far as focusing on the pin instead of the target, the most popular archery coach right now would say the opposite..

Hey guys,

I don't have any formal training in shooting my bow other than the hour at the archery shop in Helena (Capital Sports) when I bought it. I read the "Long Range Shooting Handbook" by Cleckner and it was a game-changer for my rifle shooting. Nothing super technical, just easy to understand and implement basic foundational things. For example, never knew to focus on the reticle (as opposed to the target).

So, what would be the equivalent book to level-up my accuracy with my bow?

Thank you!

MADGRZ
I hope you'll only be shooting at targets.

Buy lots of arrows and train your own blood trailing dog. Oops forgot get 2 or 3 packs of sight pins, 20 should do ya @ every 20 out to 200. holdover out past that

I wouldnt know of a book but I do believe in shooting very often not many arrows though learning to shoot a bow well is the same as everything else if I shot for 50 arrows and let it lay for 2 weeks well I'm back to square 1, watch a few vids on form and start
Go out and shoot 10 arrows 4 or 5 time a week you will develop form and muscle memory and wont wear your self out get good at 20 the go back to 30 then 40 and so on as you shoot farther 20 and 30 seem like a chip shot

I wouldnt know of a book but I do believe in shooting very often not many arrows though learning to shoot a bow well is the same as everything else if I shot for 50 arrows and let it lay for 2 weeks well I'm back to square 1, watch a few vids on form and start
Go out and shoot 10 arrows 4 or 5 time a week you will develop form and muscle memory and wont wear your self out get good at 20 the go back to 30 then 40 and so on as you shoot farther 20 and 30 seem like a chip shot
Several coaches preach short sessions— 6 arrows a day, or less. Make every single one count.

Also, @Big Fin, would love to hear an archery coach on a pod sometime. Really enjoyed the one you had with the Olympic archers a while back.

Thanks for the recommendations all. I picked up Idiot Proof Archery and have found it helpful. Glad to know about the online courses/schools as well - will consider those in the future.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back