Anybody else muzzleloader hunting this year

I have never taken a deer with a modern rifle - traditional ML is the way I have spent 90% of my big game (deer, elk) hunting. Drew tags this year - the cataract surgery means I will be able to see. The blown shoulder might kill off the hunt, I have to go to the range and see how many tears I shed after pulling the trigger....

David
Just put less powder in the barrel.

My Traditions Hawken Woodsman in .50 cal has no significant felt recoil with up to 70 grains of Hogdon FFFG.

If you haven't considered this might be worth a try or something similar. I've used the limbsaver model on a rifle and shotgun for youth. View attachment 281971
May have to look into that. I could craft a piece of wood to fit into the arc of the buttplate, to flatten it like a modern gun, then slip this over.

My .62 rests more on the shoulder like a modern gun, not out on the arm like the guns with the crescent buttplate. But it's a .62 and I don't know if I have the guts to put it on my shoulder and pull the trigger.

Just put less powder in the barrel.

My Traditions Hawken Woodsman in .50 cal has no significant felt recoil with up to 70 grains of Hogdon FFFG.
I'm a less powder guy these days. Used to shoot my Plains Rifle with 140 gr for hunting, 120 for competition shooting. Was younger and uninjured then. I can drop to around 90 grains and have good accuracy out to 100, due to the heavy barrel of this rifle there is very little recoil. But this shoulder hurts like the dickens, and I am wondering just how good an idea it is to shoot it. Will find out tomorrow morning, I think.

David
NM

I will be hunting New Mexico unit 23 for Elk with my muzzleloader. .45 Cal Paramount Pro with 300 gr Pittmans. For of those of you not familiar with New Mexico or its units, this is a very tough hunt regardless of which weapon you are using.

what can a muzzle loader do that a rifle cant apart from being able to use it in a different season.
What can a good hunter harvest with a rifle they can’t with a muzzleloader? That’s a better question in my opinion

I will be hunting New Mexico unit 23 for Elk with my muzzleloader. .45 Cal Paramount Pro with 300 gr Pittmans. For of those of you not familiar with New Mexico or its units, this is a very tough hunt regardless of which weapon you are using.
How's your grouping with your setup? Sounds like a nice setup what sights are you running? I've spent some time in the San Francisco Mtns beautiful country. Will be chasing deer in 22 this year. Goodluck!

Deer and elk this fall. Shot TC this week with new peep. First time this gun hasn't had a scope on it. New rule in NM. Should be fun.

Took the muzzleloader out yesterday for my last practice session before my Colorado hunt. A half dozen shots at 100 yards, a dozen at 150, even sent 1 from 200 and rang the gong every time. Just finished cleaning it and getting my loads ready for Colorado leave in a week.20230910_112014.jpg20230911_175502.jpg

I will if the surgeon can make my trigger finger work next month! If not, may have to try the string on the trigger around wrist trick.

Took the muzzleloader out yesterday for my last practice session before my Colorado hunt. A half dozen shots at 100 yards, a dozen at 150, even sent 1 from 200 and rang the gong every time. Just finished cleaning it and getting my loads ready for Colorado leave in a week.View attachment 291970View attachment 291971
Great accuracy on the gong.

How do you plan to get the projectile out of the tube without spilling any powder?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back