Anybody else muzzleloader hunting this year

If this was the NV elk unit I'm thinking it was, I had a tag last year and 2016. Tough hunting for sure. Saw a few elk last year but could not close the deal. 2016 I had a last minute of light shot and gun did not fire (side lock). The horses are certainly a problem in there.

I'll put it out there, this was 78/105-107. I'm pretty far towards the end of the spectrum that is stoked to hunt any tag with a realistic chance of success, even if it's hard. There is no way I'll ever apply for that tag again. Used to be the golden ticket to get drawn for any tag in NV, but it quickly became clear this was a lot like a more expensive version of the Colorado OTC elk hike.

We have a dedicated flintlock-only season here in Pa which I hunt every year.
It is our "primitive" season.... unused buck tags are good for doe or buck, blazeorange is optional, (and no problems as a result), but only flintlock ignition is permitted....no caplocks, and iron sights only.
This all takes place after Christmas when regular rifle seasons have ended.
For some of us the nostalga is the attraction every bit as much as the hunt itself.

Took an average mountain buck in PA., on opening day of the regular firearms season, with my .50 cal TC Hawkin flintlock. Have been waiting to get out now in our flintlock season. Nothing but rain and fog now for 5 days of hunting in my area. I resist rain with the flintlock. There's 15 hunting days left yet so who knows.

Good luck to all here

We have a late season firearm’s hunt in my part of NY where it’s muzzleloader and shotgun only starting January 7th. I’ll be using my TC Impact .50 cal

Got her done on a small public land muley end of September with my CVA. Sure does taste good. Didn't see any big deer at all this year. Can't help but realize the number that winter kill created on these poor animals in Northern Utah. But the range was in absolutely wonderful condition, best I have seen in many years. IMG_1207.jpgIMG_1224.jpgIMG_1179-EDIT.jpg

Yes, still. But nothing showed on Saturday though the weather was so nice. The week before there was 6” of snow, it was 30 degrees colder and these woods were overrun with tracks. It’s now my last week to try to bring home some venison with the 58 cal. Hopefully I’ll soon have a better grip & grin than this to share.

120FA449-23D3-400F-8CFA-B1B155AD3BAC.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back