Another Bino thread

WVTXn

So I’ve concluded that I’m looking for my first (and last?) pair of binos. My time is limited so I don’t really have much opportunity to drive an hour one way to try out a few pairs in the store. I totally understand the “pay it once and be done” aspect of bino purchases but dadgum I ain’t payin’ 3k for something without a trigger. So, here we go…. (Most are 10x42 except Maven)
The options I’ve narrowed…

Vortex UHD Razor demo $1300. Ouch. High price. Heavy weight. Good warranty?
Maven B2 (11x45!). $1200. Price still high-ish.
Zeiss Conquest HD. New $1000. Demo $750. Like the Zeiss brand, like the demo price.
Leica Trinovid. New $1000. Demo $870. Like the Leica brand. If the demo isn’t that much cheaper, there must be a valid reason? Why are Leica not more popular?
Sig Kilo 6k. New $800. Rangefinding. But heard sig warranty is not great.
Meopta Meopro Air ?
Leupold BX-5 New $1000. last choice, read somewhere this model isn’t recommended for hunting. Meh.

If Swaro still made the SLC I think that would’ve been my choice. I don’t trust online resellers with this.

Or should I just get a set of Vortex Vipers or Leupold BX-4s to start?

Apologies for yet another optics thread. Thanks for the wisdom.

Last edited:
What is your typical style of hunting? Are you spending serious time behind glass trying to find animals or are you just looking over animals once you see them? Typical ranges you’re looking at? Are you using a tripod or hand holding?

Top tier glass is awesome and there is definitely a difference but it may or may not be a requirement.

The UDHs are definitely heavier and are best done off a tripod. If that’s not your style and you don’t like the weight, I’d really suggest Leica. Leicas are sleepers cuz they have no big sponsors like Leupold and Vortex, and Swaros just sell theirselves. Leica is a very solid option, I’d snag those in a heartbeat. Zeiss would be a very close second.

What is your typical style of hunting? Are you spending serious time behind glass trying to find animals or are you just looking over animals once you see them? Typical ranges you’re looking at? Are you using a tripod or hand holding?

Top tier glass is awesome and there is definitely a difference but it may or may not be a requirement.
Honestly I’m kinda newish to most hunting. I’ve basically just done eastern whitetail stuff, still hunting. But I’m committed to western stuff now. Point games etc. Finally picking up a hobby in my 40s. Darn work.

Honestly I’m kinda newish to most hunting. I’ve basically just done eastern whitetail stuff, still hunting. But I’m committed to western stuff now. Point games etc. Finally picking up a hobby in my 40s. Darn work.
Perma had good recommendations above, I agree on the Vortex. You won’t go wrong with Leica or Zeiss.

I love my Mavens. Maven demos aren’t on your list, you can try them for a couple of weeks and if you don’t like them you’re just out the shipping. That’s how I bought mine. I’d also consider the 9’s just because they’ll be easier to handhold.

If you shop around and increase your budget just a little bit you could find a used set of Swaro EL’s in that 1,500 range or Zeiss SFL’s. Warranty is transferable and they will take care of you.

Last comment - If you are getting serious, you will probably do a lot more with $2k in glass than that much in a rifle. (Not knocking nice rifles, I love them and have several) There are a lot of rifles <$1k that will outshoot most of the people pulling the trigger. Spend your money where it will benefit you most

I went through this recently and settled on the maven b6 10x50s. I spent quiet a bit of time behind them this September on a moose hunt and am satisfied with their performance. Even in low light conditions they did really well. They're not quiet sworo, but at that price point they win in my opinion!

We have Swaro EL 10x42s, and an old Leitz Wetzlar 7x35 that was rebuilt by a master, so that is our reference.

I recently got 2 Tract riflescopes, and in the bad weather we have had, tested them against a Swaro Z5 at the same mag and every bit as bright.

The Tract Toric 10x50s SCHOTT glass binos are ~$750. 10x42s are $694. For bino reviews I usually look at the birdwatcher stuff, as they spend more time behind glass than most hunters. Transferrable warranty. I have no affiliation with Tract.

The UHD can be had, refurbished, for 1k at aaoptics.com - bought a lot of vortex stuff here, over the years, and theyre great.

I have the maven b1, vortex viper, and have spent a lot of time behind the b1.2. Id say the b1 compares favorably to the razor series.

I dont think you can really go wrong - but those maven b1.2s seem to do everything well. Light. Crazy glass. Compact. Especially with everything else you are comparing being 10x42.

Swaro ELs. Love my 8.5s. Best money I’ve spent on hunting equipment.

Only binos I’ve seen equal to Swaro is Leica. I didn’t like Leica’s warranty compared to Swaro. My ELs are currently at Swaro getting refurbished after 16 years for free. I paid for new lense glass for $250. They’ll be new quality binos again when I get them back.

I have a bookmark on the Rokslide Optics Classifieds waiting for the stars to align on a set of cast off 12x42 NL Pures.
It should happen in 10 years or so.

If you can look at a bunch of those with an hour drive, that’s easily worth it to do IMO.

Optics>rifles. Cant shoot what you dont see. 10x42 swaro slc for me til I can find some pures for a decent price down the road.

I have an older pair of Meopta (Cabela’s Euro) HD. They, like every Meopta product I’ve ever looked through, are better than anything at the same price point. This might get me kicked off the forum, but every Meopta product I’ve looked through side by side embarrasses an equally (or more expensive) Leupold product.

That being said, my buddy has Swarovski ELs and they embarrass any and everything we’ve compared them against.

Lastly, I agree with what everyone has said, binos are arguably your most important piece of gear. I bought a $600 rifle so I could afford $1000 binos. And to be frank I’m saving to get $2000 binos (Swaro).

Until you’ve experienced it, it is hard to explain to an eastern hunter how much you will use your binos out west.

After more research and deliberation I’ve continued the narrowing down to the Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meopro Air, and the Maven B1.2.
My head hurts…… well not really but y’all know what I mean.

So I’ve concluded that I’m looking for my first (and last?) pair of binos. My time is limited so I don’t really have much opportunity to drive an hour one way to try out a few pairs in the store.
Nobody is that busy but some are that careless or carefree I suppose so have at it. If it were a gun or some other item you would make the drive?

Going to buy a pair of binos costing $1,000 or more sight unseen and untested. That makes zero sense and is a recipe for problems and disappointment.

Nobody is that busy but some are that careless or carefree I suppose so have at it. If it were a gun or some other item you would make the drive?

Going to buy a pair of binos costing $1,000 or more sight unseen and untested. That makes zero sense and is a recipe for problems and disappointment.
You're right.
I needed to read that.

Back