Ammo for elk

LuckFarming

I shot factory hornady 150 gmx.Can not find 165 gmx around here very often.I found 165 federal nosler ballist tip.Do not get to shoot any thing around here with 30-06.Advice on any ammo would be helpful.Thanks

Why aren't you using 180's, or even a 200 ? The BT's would be a little on the soft side, intended primarily for deer size game.

I'm a heavy bullet guy. Especially for Elk. I shoot 180gr Nosler Partitions for Elk out of a .308. Elk are a big target, if it were mine to do with an '06. I'd probably be shooting 180gr Partitions, Trophy Bonded or Acubonds

Don't shoot at an elk with a ballistic tip. If I understand your post correctly you have 150 gr GMX? use those.

Last edited:
Your expected shooting distances will be a factor but I suggest 180 gr. Partitions or similar.

I've used 180 gr. Nosler ballistic tip on an elk once. I wouldn't recommend it. Too much meat damage and the potential for separation of the tip and inadequate penetration if it hits bone.

I prefer heavy bullets for elk where my typical shooting distances are from 30-90 yards in the timber. I get very good results from handloaded Nosler Partitions in 180 and 200 grain, and Nosler round nose in 200 and 220 grain.

FWIW...

Some penetration tests have shown that monolithic bullets, like the GMX, penetrate the same as a partition 1.2X as heavy. Therefore a 150gr GMX should penetrate about as far as a 180gr Partition.

The 180gr Ballistic Tips, of recent manufacture, have about 60% of their weight made up by the bullet jacket. They were 'toughened up' because of complaints on larger game. 180gr is the far right.

I personally wouldn't have a problem hunting with either.

Don't shoot at an elk with a ballistic tip. If I understand your post correctly you have 150 gr GMX? use those.

I may catch a lot of flack from this--- But every elk I have shot so far since I have started reloading has been with the .270 150 grain Ballistic tip. Not one of those have went more than ten yards after the shot. A few years ago our family shot 4 elk, all with the 270 150 bt reloads and all elk dropped where they stood.

As with all conversations with caliber/bullet weight/ect, it comes back to shot placement and not trying to shoot further than you are comfortable. I know someone that uses a 6mm for ALL hunting and has killed many more elk/deer/antelope than I have.

FWIW...

Some penetration tests have shown that monolithic bullets, like the GMX, penetrate the same as a partition 1.2X as heavy. Therefore a 150gr GMX should penetrate about as far as a 180gr Partition.

The 180gr Ballistic Tips, of recent manufacture, have about 60% of their weight made up by the bullet jacket. They were 'toughened up' because of complaints on larger game. 180gr is the far right.

I personally wouldn't have a problem hunting with either.

Didn't know that, thanks! So what would be the advantage in modern BTs for elk? Less lead, less likelihood of bullet tip deformation?

I agree with you ishootdasmallones. I 've shot all of the above mentioned ammo. A few years ago i tried the Barnes bullets and have never gone back. Best bullet i have used so far. Just my opinion.

Didn't know that, thanks! So what would be the advantage in modern BTs for elk? Less lead, less likelihood of bullet tip deformation?

Bullet tip deformation is really pretty irrelevant at reasonable ranges. The plastic tips, however, can sometimes fall off or break off. A deformed lead tip does not change much for the most part.

Any bullet will kill an elk if placed right, but for my money, I will not trust an expensive hunt to a bullet that may not hold together. The BT is primarily a deer-type bullet. I will stay with a premium for my money. Partitions, ABs, Barnes, GMX etc. are a small investment for peace of mind on an elk hunt.

I shoot only Barnes Triple shock bullets now. They are awesome. I shoot them in my .338 Win Mag., .300 Rem. Ultra Mag., .300 SA Rem. Ultra Mag., and have never had one let me down. I used to shoot Nosler Partitions, but every one I recovered had shed the lead in front of the partition and heck that's close to 40% of the weight!

Ultimately, to answer your question from earlier. With the choice between a 150gr GMX and a 165 B-Tip. Shoot the GMX.

If you are looking for other ammo recommendations, I usually use heavy slugs. Here's why. Wind and down range energy. A 180 gr slug will drift less in wind than a 150gr counterpart. Will it drop more, yup. Is it lower velocity, yup Not a ton, but I would rather trade a little less wind deflection for a bit more drop. Drop is easier to account for. A 180gr will also hit a bit harder once it reaches the Elk, Higher BC, less velocity loss over distance.

Will a 150 do the trick, yup. If you are going to shoot a 150, A Mono metal slug, like the GMX, is probably the best option. At this point, this close to the season, if you have the GMX and are comfortable with them, that may be the best option.

BT's are designed to quickly expand and destroy tissure upon entry. The problem is still the velocity upon which the projectile enters the critter. If you're down around 1800 fps by the time the bullet impacts, you should get better penetration. If you're 50 feet, it's still going to blow up on impact.

Shoot the GMX's. Even in the lighter weight they'll do the job with good penetration. Seems like there's just less to go wrong with a copper bullet versus a BT.

I shoot only Barnes Triple shock bullets now. They are awesome. I shoot them in my .338 Win Mag., .300 Rem. Ultra Mag., .300 SA Rem. Ultra Mag., and have never had one let me down. I used to shoot Nosler Partitions, but every one I recovered had shed the lead in front of the partition and heck that's close to 40% of the weight!

i find the partition the ultimate projectile for hunting,,the front end was designed to shed lead which acts like a granade inside doing damage to vitals,,exactly what you want,,at the very least it will expand under minimal pressure which is more than i can say for the monolistic.

After reading many posts from Buzz on the subject, I have regressed from solids and picked up some 160gr NP's for the upcoming season. I just prefer a shot that doesn't hit bone and wanted something that I could count on to expand in that scenario.

Have you looked at the Barnes TSX or TTSX? I use em out of a few different calibers and they are super accurate and hit with authority. They do tend to be of a bit lighter weight than a traditional cup n core bullet due to them being all copper. But my friends and I call em the hot copper jets, they just perform and if your shot is off a bit, smash bone like all get out. GMX bullet is very similar, just has more tin in it is all.
Shoot what your rifle likes, in a caliber you can handle effectively, and place your shot carefully through the pump house, dead elk will follow.

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to killing elk, but my first and only elk went down last year with 165gr Nosler Accubond at 384 yards, he only made it about 10 yards. I'll be using the same round for my cow this year.

Back