Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Advice for a Newbie

bisblue

Hey folks,
I originally posted this on Rokslide, and a friend suggested I repost this here and see what comes up.

I'm a really lucky guy. As a NV resident I drew a late Bull tag rifle for 111-115 (Nov 21-Dec 4th) and a cow rifle tag for 114 (Oct 1-20th) on the first try. I was mainly just wanting to build points for the bull and gain experience first, but oh well.

I hunted obsessively in the southeast growing up and have spent the past ten years as a wildland firefighter and rock climbing guide out West, with little hunting time. I've been on a couple horse packing elk hunts with my wife's family out of Utah, old school cowboy style, although I hiked one trip while they rode since a horse got sick and I still wanted to go.

I've got a couple questions and this seems a very informed group/forum.

I'm pretty set on lightweight camping and bivy stuff from alpine climbing. I love putting up new climbing routes, and often scour the West for new areas, then hump in loads of bolts, drill, fixed ropes..... I've put tons of miles in hiking in the backcountry and suffering for no apparent reason.

My goals for these hunts are to put meat in the freezer, especially with the cow hunt and having it be my wife's first hunt. I would like to try to not waste my opportunity with my bull tag. I'm not looking for a trophy but don't want to shoot a little guy that I'm going to regret later.

I've been scouting a good bit with two buddies who are experienced backcountry hunters for the weekends for my bull tag units. I'm trying to rope in a fire guy or two to be available for packing out so I can hunt the weekdays as well. I have an ATV, but I'd prefer to drive it instead of my pickup from camp then hike into a tough area/ wilderness area to play to my fitness strengths.

I've read a good bit including Steve Rinella's book on big game. I've also been shooting my 30-06 regularly.

1. I'd love any specific area advice. I've got an ok on the ground knowledge from my scouting so far (3 trips), mostly 114 and 113.

2. I'd love any specific advice on late season hunting in particular Nevada/ high sagebrush and Pinion Juniper terrain.

3. Any general advice for a first timer.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back