Caribou Gear

Absolutely TORN!!!

AH64DMatt

Okay, i've been researching and researching and I've narrowed my search for my first muzzleloader to either the CVA Accura V2 or the Knight Bighorn, both chambered in .50cal.

I'm in Arizona, and will be hunting elk in mostly woods, but with the possibility of a shot at a clearing or holding tank. The max shot I'm going to be looking for is about 150-175.

So, I'm torn between the V2 and the Bighorn, and also Scoped vs. Unscoped. I can see advantages and disadvantages equally of both.

Please help...I'm starting to go crazy...

Thanks,
Matt

I can't help in the comparision, but I do like my Accura V2. I have only shot powerbelts so far, but I just received some Thors I hope to shoot soon.

I have 2 traditions 50 cal and a TC triumph bone collector also in 50 cal,,any of them would do what you are looking to do,,on another note,,CVA has issued a recall on some of their inline rifles,,any with the serial number ending in 95 or 96 if you or anyone you know has one of these rifles,,call 1-770-449-4687,,these rifles have a major problem and could cause some serious injury

As far as the optics go. Different states have different laws on whether scope are legal or not. Whatever you mount (I have the Leupold Ultimate slam, and it works well), I would reccomend using quick detach mounts, so if you travel to a no-scope-state you can easily remove it.

I have a TC Endeavor, and it is a great shooting ML. It shoots right at 1 MOA with Powerbelts.

I have the nikon bdc muzzle loader scope on one of mine,,,works good,is calibrated to 250yrds with the drop dots and would be a good choice if your state allows scopes during m l season.

I have a TC Omega with a Nikon Omega BDC scope and I couldn't ask for a better setup, well, I would like the Triumph better for ease of access to the primer. I shot an antelope at 225 last year with it just to break it in and made a perfect lung shot. Then took it to New Mexico and took a bull at 75 yds. Both animals dropped in thier tracks, both shots were double lung.

I believe CVA made my Winchester inline ML. It is dependable and is an absolute tack driver. I would easily buy another in fact I need to for my son for this fall.

Buy them both and put a scope on one and leave open sights on the other...I have a CVA with open sights for Colorado and a TC with a scope for other places

I have a CVA Accura V2 in .50cal. Using 150 grains of WhiteHot powder and 250gr Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ™ Sabots. Open sights. First thing I shot with it was a mule deer buck in Dec. at 40 yards and he took 4 steps. This year I shot another one at 150 yards and he did the same thing. That load in a Accura V2 shoots great. Just make sure you check the state regs when finding a powder/bullet combo.

TC triumph bone collector

I have 2 traditions 50 cal and a TC triumph bone collector also in 50 cal,,any of them would do what you are looking to do,,on another note,,CVA has issued a recall on some of their inline rifles,,any with the serial number ending in 95 or 96 if you or anyone you know has one of these rifles,,call 1-770-449-4687,,these rifles have a major problem and could cause some serious injury

+2 on the TC Triumph Bone Collector. MOA with Hornady pistol bullets/Harvester sabots/Blackhorn 209. Great shooting gun.

I went through the same thing recently, and ended up with a CVA Accura MR.

A big thing for me was weight, the Accura MR is about a pound lighter them most others.
So far I'm very happy. It is easy to load, shoot and clean. Very accurate.

P1010208.jpg

Well, I pulled the the trigger.

I ended up ordering a TC Encore .50 caliber. I'm definitely going to mount a scope to it, and will wait until I get to the range to start working on what kind of load to hunt with.

I've heard fantastic things about the TC Encore, and can't wait to throw some smoke downrange.
Thanks for the input everyone. Hopefully I will have a Cow Tag story come Fall.

Have a wonderful day.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back