NEW SITKA Ambient 75

A Tale of Trespass

one ate E grain

This story struck me wrong, from early on to all the way through so I thought I'd post it and other can get all pissed too, or maybe not.

It's a story of private land so it doesn't rightly belong clogging up the branch here called Public Land where many deserving threads are discussed. This is about trespassing on private land.

I get contracted to put up fences on private land, landowners just get sick of people establishing bike paths, dog walking, and trail running, without permission. It's a thing in that place called the urban/wildlands interface. It's not exactly the classic trespass onto a ranch somewhere, it's the ranch that's been cut up into little five or ten acre ranchettes with forest. People, often early retirees or advanced middle age work from home types buy a "place in the mountains" and they like being left alone, not that they are anti social, or maybe they are, reasons are up to them, their land. Without further comment....

He certainly comes across as an ER doc from Aspen.

Whatever happened to asking permission first?

There is a huge network of trails near on public land across the street from my moms house. Growing up we were the only house of the street and you just walked through one of the vacant lots. Eventually all the lots were sold and houses built, we were a bit worried we would lose access, but we just welcomed the newcomers to the neighborhood, explained the situation and asked permission. The couple who owns the property is great, said yes, and even shovel a little path for my mom to walk in the winter.

🤷‍♂️

I don't know what is worse...this tool-bags unmitigated arrogance or the magazine for publishing it in hopes of pandering to other entitled PITAs. So HE can buy his way into "beauty" but thinks he should be able to just prance around on whatever other people have worked for? Crying about how these people reacted.......maybe if you would have ASKED before you TRESPASSED they would have treated you differently. Unbelievable......

Whatever happened to asking permission first
Exactly, I cant tell you how many people I've come into contact somewhere on private around home hunting behind a subdivision without permission. The most common answer always gets me "oh sorry I didnt think anyone owned this."🙄 Its as if when they move out here and buy there house whatever farm behind it comes with it. Pet pieve of mine if you couldng tell.

I do find it interesting when ranches get chopped up into communities without access points (for community members). Like you’d think someone during the planning process would say “ maybe we should put in a community access path owned by the HOA so HOA members can access the NF without conflicts.

-Edited because people seem to have poor reading comprehension

Last edited by a moderator:
In all my ventures to obtain permission to hunt/pass thru private property never have I felt as though I was entitled to do so. I can’t tell you how many times someone with a no hunting/no trespassing sign has given me access to their property because there are many. I am positive had any of those folks just found me on their land our relationships would be different for the negative. When someone says stay off or no I just assume they have their reasons and leave with a sincere respectful gesture hoping that my interaction with that landowner remains positive.

This guy don’t realize , HE is the reason many landowners have the attitude they do.

Public easements are one thing, running through people’s private property another. Hard to sort out what’s really going on in the article but certainly this guy seems entitled to go where he pleases regardless of who owns the land.

I don't know what is worse...this tool-bags unmitigated arrogance or the magazine for publishing it in hopes of pandering to other entitled PITAs.

I got to thinking about that too SFC B, an editor read this story. Outside is kind of a big magazine for the outdoor rec people, seems like they ought to know about trespassing and the west and what not.

Twitter comments were running strongly against the thing. I went and looked when it came onto my google feed early and there wasn't much, and then later on when I came back mid afternoon it had created a stir.

Flip side of this NM does seem to be an epicenter of land access issue; shutting BLM access points to hunters, river access, etc.

Im not surprised this has bled into non-consumptive users.

Everyone first needs to ask if the writer’s experience may differ from theirs and that form views (biases). I get both sides, but understanding is key. There is no benefit to an emotional reaction.
I can guess how this happened. In an urban setting, private public is not really an issue because private property usually begins at a door. Move to the suburbs and it is still pretty clear because there are clear delineation of ownership. As you move out, it gets less clear. Many property lines are not marked, no signs, fences are often in the wrong places. Someone from the area tells you it’s ok on this trail and you tend to believe them because you don’t know anything else, so you trust.
Don’t react solely to the action of the author, think about the reaction. If you hunt enough, you have seen the people he describes. Progress can’t be made without understanding on both sides.

Entitlement mindset. I wonder if he minds if I bow hunt his little corner of private paradise without asking. I will offer a couple pounds of organic meat as a way of convincing him that I deserve to be there and he’s better off with on his property at my convenience than he is excluding me.

Sad thing about people like this is if they asked first they probably would get permission on most properties.

Everyone first needs to ask if the writer’s experience may differ from theirs and that form views (biases). I get both sides, but understanding is key. There is no benefit to an emotional reaction.
I can guess how this happened. In an urban setting, private public is not really an issue because private property usually begins at a door. Move to the suburbs and it is still pretty clear because there are clear delineation of ownership. As you move out, it gets less clear. Many property lines are not marked, no signs, fences are often in the wrong places. Someone from the area tells you it’s ok on this trail and you tend to believe them because you don’t know anything else, so you trust.
Don’t react solely to the action of the author, think about the reaction. If you hunt enough, you have seen the people he describes. Progress can’t be made without understanding on both sides.
Problem is that “progress “ is not a black and white issue. Private property rights and trespassing are pretty cut and dried. If you don’t own the land you are subject to the owners discretion of whether he wants you there or not.

I do find it interesting when ranches get chopped up into communities without access points. Like you’d think someone during the planning process would say “ maybe we should put in a community access path owned by the HOA so people can access the NF without conflicts.

See my post on the OnX thread from a couple weeks ago...Exactly what you describe exists in my neighborhood. That easement has been established for close to 50 years and the new owner just doesn't like it being there :rolleyes:

Interesting article, and interesting portrait that describes my (and many Westerner’s) experience with the influx of out-of-state folks. One type of person comes to buy their chunk of “nature” because they want freedom to do as they please. The other buys theirs because they want freedom from people. Neither of them embrace the qualities that made the local community so appealing in the first place. Yes, it’s their private property to do as they please. But this article perfectly illustrates the loss of those intangible qualities that are leading to so many access issues across the West today. I’m afraid this will just accelerate after this whole pandemic situation.

Surprised he didn't organize a 10k race across his neighbor's land. Invite your neighbor to a barbecue so they have time to evaluate your personality, then ask permission at a later time. I feel bad for the guy that just wants to ride his trail without his neighbor jogging up it constantly.

Yea, just ask and maybe the outcome would be different. You surely don't approach gaining access that way where I live on the east coast.

Problem is that “progress “ is not a black and white issue. Private property rights and trespassing are pretty cut and dried. If you don’t own the land you are subject to the owners discretion of whether he wants you there or not.

Exactly. As a landowner, regardless of how much you own, or where its located, you have the right to grant or deny access at your discretion.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back