A proud day!

Big O

Took my 11 yr old son (Tate) out Mid-day Sunday to try and find a buck. He has a multi-season Wash deer tag so we have done a little early black powder and a day or so of rifle up to this point but were mostly waiting for the late muzzle loader season. Out of the blue my 9 yr old daughter (Ashlyn) decided she wanted to go. Up to this point she has had little interest. Ended up in a blind about 2pm and by 3:30 we were watching a few does and a small spike that Tate was "thinking" about. Right then this little buck came out and offered a 90 yd shot. He made a great shot through the trees for his second deer. I had two very excited kids. Ashlyn loved every minute and is now asking when she can go through hunter ed. I think they almost enjoyed the skinning as much as the hunt.

Attachments

• Tate's deer 2011 008.jpg
    Tate's deer 2011 008.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 466
  • Tate's deer 2011 004.jpg
    Tate's deer 2011 004.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 466
  • Tate's deer 2011 011.jpg
    Tate's deer 2011 011.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 467
  • Tate's deer 2011 012.jpg
    Tate's deer 2011 012.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 467
  • Tate's deer 2011 015.jpg
    Tate's deer 2011 015.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 471
That is truly awesome! Congratulations to your son and really cool that your daughter is interested in hunting too.

I love it! C'mon, did the little girl really get in there and help butcher that deer? if so that is pretty cool

I love it! C'mon, did the little girl really get in there and help butcher that deer? if so that is pretty cool

She held the legs with Tate while I gutted, that last pic is her cutting off the fat. She wanted to help somehow. I had to stop her after awhile, just not enough fat on him. Going to cut him up on Tuesday, give them both a chance to do some more cutting.

That is great. Some of my favorite hunting memories came before I ever had a license. I remember "getting to" joint the legs on one of dad's bucks was a HUGE rite of passage.

Kids are so eager to learn at that age, and it stays with them. YOu have a great opportunity tonight as you break down that buck. just the mundamne task of running the vacuum sealer will be a big deal to 'em.

good onya.

They will remember that day for the rest of their lives - very cool!

My kids are 23 now and they still remember going goose hunting when they were 3 and all they could do was walk 50 yards and ask for water and a snack. Enjoy every moment!

Back