Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

A night out with my daughter....

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

A friend of mine gets issued some landowner damage tags every year, which he can allocate as he wishes. He has been kind enough to give one to my daughter, Krista for two years now. This allows her to take a mule deer doe on a second tag, which in my estimation is a wonderful opportunity for young hunters to get in the field and have fun.

Soooo, I made a date with Krista to pull her out of school early today so we could go hunting. We got there, my buddy showed us where to go, and as we were talking we could already see deer in the hay circle.

Krista and I hatched a plan to hike out to the middle of the circle and see what the deer would do. Of course, they just kind of milled around outside of shooting range. Seeing that this was going nowhere, we decided to walk in plain sight in hopes that they would leave the field into the basalt rocks and sagebrush.

Fortunately, they did. We hot footed around the edge of the field and waited about a half hour. Then we began to slowly work towards the top of the hill. As we approached, I could see deer milling around in the bottom of a coulee. Krista got into position, but it was too long of a shot.

I told her to follow me, and we backed up, and looped back towards the hayfield towards a high spot. We had just finished our belly crawl to the top when the deer were filing across on the ridge 85 yards away. I told Krista to take her time and pick one out and shoot when she had the opportunity.

After a lot of indecision, she shot. I saw a doe jump and kick and walk off all humped up. Because of the angle of the sun, I couldn't see where her shot hit. I told her to chamber another round and keep down.

Being an 11 year old, she's laying there singing, ecstatic that she hit the deer, commenting on the sunset, the moon, how nice the night is, etc. Dad is worrying because the deer's head is still up.

After about 15 minutes, her doe stood up.

Me: Shoot the one on the far right
Krista: Which one?

Me: The farthest one to the right.
Krista: Are you sure?

Me: Yes.
Krista: Are you sure?

Me: Yes, shoot it.
Krista: She's moving.

Me: Shoot it anyway
Krista: Okay

She shot again and I could hear a solid hit. We slowly approached as darkness was closing in. I could see the body in the sagebrush and told her to slowly approach. She had to put a finisher in it, which bothered her a bit. She was (understandably) a little freaked out at shooting a deer up close. In all reality, we could have given it 15 minutes and not worried about it, but it was a good experience for her, all the way across the board.

Here is the trophy...

Attachments

• krista hunt talk 1.jpg
    krista hunt talk 1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 444
I proceeded to take some pictures, not enough dammit, and got my headlamp ready for field dressing. Krista wanted me to take a funny picture of her holding the moon.

Attachments

• krista hunt talk 2.jpg
    krista hunt talk 2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 439
We drug her deer to the fence and left the pack and the rifle there. Krista was worried about coyotes getting to her prize, so I conceded that I would leave the pack as a "deterrent" because it smelled stinky like dad does.

What better way to top off an evening of hunting, than walking across a hayfield holding your daughter's hand in the full moon?

That is awesome. Loved the story, pics (moon one was pretty cool), and most of all...the smiling face says it all!
As a dad who took his now 20 year old daughter hunting every chance, you will not regret spending that time with her!
Congratulations to both of you!

Very nice. Very fondly recall deer hunts with my now 22 YO daughter. "Life" has gotten in the way and prevented hunts for us together that last several years...will be working on correcting that.

Great way to spend time with your daughter. Congrats!

I'm looking forward to taking my step daughter out hunting in December on a late season doe antelope tag. Between her school and work and a band and boys, I'm not sure where I'm going to fit in.

Great story!!!
Congrats to both - well done to Krista and Dad!
Thanks for posting

My best hunting trips were always with my daughter. She hunted with me from 4 to 12. As a teenager, my brother and I put her on a nice 8 point buck, you northerners probably call it a 4 x 4. She could not pull the trigger. Teenage hormones ruined her for hunting. Will be 26 this month and is talking about getting back into it, depends on the current boyfriend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back