7 mm mag 139 gr Hornady BTSP

Tkaldahl2000

I have worked up a load for my Rem 7 mm mag using these 139 grain BTSP interlock bullets that seems to perform pretty well as far as accuracy goes. I have no question about using them on white tails or muleys, but what about elk? I am not a long range shooter. Our gun club range only goes out to 200 yards, so that will probably be my max ethical range. I know that guys shoot elk with 130 grain in 270 all the time, so I would think I should be just fine. In reality I am hoping to get it done with my bow, and not even need the rifle, but If I do use the rifle I want to be prepared. Another 30 bucks for a box of 160 grain bullets won't break me, so if the 139's just won't do I can live with that.

Good shot placement will get the job done with the 139 grain. For elk I shoot the Berger 168gr VLD out of my 7mag, getting great results out at longer distances. I'm not a long range guy, but getting more confident with time.

They will do fine, if you keep them off the shoulder bone. I have shot them for years at about 3100fps. I have not killed elk with them, as I believe that there are better choices. They are fantastic on deer, though.

I personally use 160 Partitions for elk, just for a bit of insurance. Try the 140 Partitions and I will bet that you find them to shoot nearly same POI as the Ils, with a bit more durability.

Might try 140 gr. Partitions or Accubonds in your rifle to see if it likes them. Nosler 140 gr. E-tip would also work very well. Any of these three I just mentioned in 140 - 150 - 160 grain range would work very well. Pick the one your rifle likes best and go kill an elk!

Put it in the pocket behind the shoulder and let it do it's job. we rarely use anything over 139/140 gr. in our 7 mags.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back