622 Road Conditions

Dieseldog

Headed to 622 for a cow tag. How are the road conditions? I would imagine they are rougher than heck but should be dried up or froze at night by now. It's been 6 weeks or so since the last big rain hasn't it? Thanks

Roads are good. Hunting is tough. Elk are all holed up on a chunk of private. 1000 head up there but nothing a guy can do about it. Not even a track or anything on the refuge or block management that I have run across yet. Doesn't matter how many tags fwp sells the elk aren't gonna get killed. But the fwp bank account will grow. Oh well better than working.

just got back from there last night. roads were dry and good. no elk for me. saw 25 bucks but none were very good. shot the biggest 4x4 i saw. i was in armstrong coulee and saw some bulls, no cows. good luck

No elk or deer for me this trip. I had a couple cows that came within 100 yards of leaving some private but never crossed the property line. So they lived another day. I am bound and determined now to get this tag again and fill it next year. After learning a bunch and getting a decent idea what these elk are doing I am wanna prove myself I can get one down there. Especially late season after they have grouped up. No deer either this time. That country must be the 2point dink capital of the nation. Wow. I think it's time to put some deer restrictions in place. Or is everyone just happy to shoot a deer. It was a fun week.

Diesel-- I 2nd the deer restriction sentiment, at least for unit 622. When I started hunting that district, I always saw multiple mature mule deer bucks. I would say the last 4-5 years I have maybe seen 1. I think a permit system would be the way to go. It has worked in other areas across Montana.

As for elk, if ya want more guidance than ya already learned shoot me a PM.

Diesel-- I 2nd the deer restriction sentiment, at least for unit 622. When I started hunting that district, I always saw multiple mature mule deer bucks. I would say the last 4-5 years I have maybe seen 1. I think a permit system would be the way to go. It has worked in other areas across Montana.

As for elk, if ya want more guidance than ya already learned shoot me a PM.

It seems like most people that draw elk permits in the Breaks bring friends, and those friends think they need to kill something. The deer take a major hit as a result. I don't think there are many bucks that live to reach a mature age in the Breaks anymore.

I would like to see the Breaks and the Custer Forest become limited quota areas for deer. Those areas are major money-makers for FWP though so I can't see it ever happening.

Wasn't there recently a thread on here about 652 and how it is up for debate as to whether the draw actually improves the unit?

I would actually disagree with most of you guys. The deer in the breaks see a ton of archery hunters and the older deer quickly leave the heavily hunted areas. By the time rifle season kicks in, they've gone elsewhere.

I would actually disagree with most of you guys. The deer in the breaks see a ton of archery hunters and the older deer quickly leave the heavily hunted areas. By the time rifle season kicks in, they've gone elsewhere.

While I agree the deer see a ton of archery hunters, do you think more people are archery hunting the Breaks, than, say 10 years ago? I haven't been up there during archery season for a few years so can't really say one way or the other... I do see a lot of small bucks being shot opening week of rifle season every year and the bad winter a few years ago I am sure had a negative impact as well.

Some areas I used to see these mature bucks are deep in the breaks, and I still hunt those areas without seeing them. Unless bow hunters have seriously changed where they hunt, mature deer should still be holding in these areas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back