Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

308 winchester or 300WSM ?

Same bullets come out of the barrels. Factory ammo in 308 is easier to find, 300 wsm costs more to reload and shoot. If barrel life is of concern, then choose the 308.

I have a 300 WSM and love it, I had a 308. Performance wise they both take game and if I do my part picking the correct projectile, the gun will do it's.

Have booth, and have taken a lot of game with each. For bigger animals (moose/elk), I grab the WSM, for everything else I'm happy with the 308. A long shot for me is 300 yards.

Have booth......... For bigger animals (moose), I grab the WSM, for everything else I'm happy with the 308. A long shot for me is 300 yards.

^^^ Similar response as mine.

I have both. I like both. Yet, I am most always toting my .308 Win. Can't say that would be the case for you, as your hunting might be different than mine.

Never had a WSM, but I have a .308 Win and it kills. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

300WSM covers a lot of big game ground for me....also gave me a rationale to get a 7-08 just because.

I had a WSM and really liked it.

I have become quite partial to JR's old WSM as well;) It is definately a shooter. I shoot Federal 165grn Trophy Coppers out of it into pretty tight groups.

From a practicality perspective, I do like the .308 for the ammo availability and milder recoil (which I believe breeds better shooters). On the contrary, if you are good with a bit more recoil with the WSM, it does give you a bit more punch on elk/moose/etc.

Bottom line, I think this is really just a personal decision. I am not sure either gives a definative edge for most game in the lower 48.

A friend of mine in the gun biz says that the 308 is "the original short mag." I grew up shooting a 30-06 but I'm a 308 convert. I'm not fond of noise and recoil or long barrels and rarely shoot beyond 250 yards, so the 308 is plenty gun for me.

If not hunting past reasonable ranges, then the .308 wins for cost of components/ammo, recoil etc. If you are one of the people that is into big bangs and like to get the snot beat out of you at the range, then the WSM is a great choice.

The .308 will allow you to be a better shot, due to lack of recoil. The quality of available bullets makes it deadly, even on bigger game.

I shoot 7 mags for elk and also own a .308. If I had not gotten into the 7 mags originally through a trade, I would take a .308 for all of my hunting.

I have no idea how many days in the woods I've carried a .308. Hundreds for sure. Antelope to Elk, it handles them all, and well. Ammo is everywhere, compact rifle, short bbl, low recoil. Admittedly, I am a bit of a devotee, as I have 6 different rifles chambered in it from a Model 88 Winchester to a Kimber 84 Montana. Easy decision for me.

I have both. The 300WSM took down my moose. The 308 is a fun little tack driver but the gun that stays in my truck and seems to always be right in the middle of what I want is my 30'06. I have been seriously debating selling off some of my other non .308 caliber guns and getting a nice '06 with some high end glass. Sorry I didn't help with your decision but by writing this out I've convinced myself that it's the right thing to do... Any chance your interested in a good condition Model 70 7MM WSM.

I have both and have done quite a bit of killing with both.

On deer, can't see going heavier than the .308/150gr. But when stuff like caribou, elk, moose and whatnot become the target- the .300WSM/180gr works better for me.

I shot my best caribou at 300 yards with the .308...worked, but I wished I'd had my .300, very badly.

One thing I have been thinking, I could always load a 300WSM down to 308 velocity but could not load a 308 up to equal a 300WSM.

I have become quite partial to JR's old WSM as well;) It is definately a shooter. I shoot Federal 165grn Trophy Coppers out of it into pretty tight groups.

From a practicality perspective, I do like the .308 for the ammo availability and milder recoil (which I believe breeds better shooters). On the contrary, if you are good with a bit more recoil with the WSM, it does give you a bit more punch on elk/moose/etc.

Bottom line, I think this is really just a personal decision. I am not sure either gives a definative edge for most game in the lower 48.

As far as recoil goes', depends on riffle. my rugger 77 in 308 defiantly has twice the felt recoil as my sako 300 wm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back