PEAX Equipment

300 wsm

FWIW, R22 has a reputation for not being very temperature sensitive, ie can/will loose velocity as temperature drops.

...was gonna ask you about the vanguard trigger but now I see the decimal point.:eek:

Not bad.

You could just have a slow WSM. At those speeds you're not too far behind a 30-06.... ;) Any way to check to see if you didn't have a malfunction/misreading on the chrono? Seems like too big of a difference to be variation caused by different lots of powder or different brass.

You could just have a slow WSM. At those speeds you're not too far behind a 30-06.... ;) Any way to check to see if you didn't have a malfunction/misreading on the chrono? Seems like too big of a difference to be variation caused by different lots of powder or different brass.

I get pretty much the same readings from my chrono as sweetnectar did with the same load so I dont think thats the issue. I did get good groups as well however.

The first time I tested the load, ~10 months ago I was shooting 210 yards and shot a 3 shot group of .5 inches. The other day after MNHunter got me thinking and I had to retest the load I what shooting 162 yards and did a 3 shot group at under .5 inches. Both times I tested this load I just layed on the ground and tried to hold steady. I wonder what someone who is a better shot or had a vice could do with it.

Ya the velocity isn't screaming but the energy is plenty strong and the group is tight...I kind of don't want to mess with it unless someone is getting a good group with improved velocity.

MNHunter if you are increasing the powder please let me know how things work out. I might just try it as well.

nhy,

I am impressed with the Rifle Basix, Inc trigger for the Vanguard. I installed the "1# to3#" unit and it is sweet. If you don't care for the factory trigger, give this one a look.

I load 65.5 grns RL17 with 180 accubond and fed 215 primer. I haven't chronographed the load yet, but groups are .35" at 100. Great shooting load out of my rifle. I was guessing my velocity around 3100, but I read a thread elsewhere with someone doing the same load saying they got 3150. I shoot a standard savage with a few upgrades and a heavy 26" barrel. I've also been playing with berger 168s. My load is 68 grns with RL17. Groups are good at about .45". I'm waiting to chrono both loads and test them at long range. I think both of these loads are close to max, but work great in my rifle. Hope this helps.

I practiced with a load i made last spring for my Tikka 300wsm using RL#17. It was winchester brass, winchester mag LR primer, 67gr #17 and 180gr accubond. Its chrono speed was 3150fps and shot nicly out to 500yds. I had no problem smashing a good buck at 520yds in Nevada this year.

300WSM loads with 180 gr. Accubonds....

I load the 180 Accubond with 65.5 grains of IMR4831. I have neck turned the brass. I use Win. WLRM primers. I have used this load for 3 yrs. It has accounted for 12 African plains game animals, an aoudad, a good mountain goat Billy and two mule deer. My 300WSM, Rem. 700 SPS, is my go to big game rifle with this stated load. MTG

I use 66gr Win 760 with 180gr noslers and get 3080fps the same as factory 180 ballistic silvertips. I have a savage model 12fv and it shoots under .20 groups at 109yards that is sight in range for my shepherd scope

Give RL-17 a shot. It's designed for the short mags.

Ben is right. That stuff works great in a WSM.

My pet load is 67.4grs RL-17 behind a 168gr Barnes TSX. Clocks in about 3180FPS at under an inch at 100yds. I was getting faster speeds at higher loads but wasnt as accurate.

I like to drop down to 165-168gr bullets with the 300wsm. most of the time you will increase your velocity by 200fps over 180gr bullets. Win 760 performs well in many short cases and if you are a new handloader you will like loading a ball powder. I use 69gr win760 and get 3280fps out of 165gr bullets and 3320fps for 168gr bullets in a savage model 12FV with a 26 inch barrel and shoot sub 1/4inch groups @100yards

I like to drop down to 165-168gr bullets with the 300wsm. most of the time you will increase your velocity by 200fps over 180gr bullets. Win 760 performs well in many short cases and if you are a new handloader you will like loading a ball powder. I use 69gr win760 and get 3280fps out of 165gr bullets and 3320fps for 168gr bullets in a savage model 12FV with a 26 inch barrel and shoot sub 1/4inch groups @100yards

Gonna have to throw a flag up on this one?
First off your 165 load is a almost 4 grains over the max of what the Hogdon/Winchester manual lists as a maximum load not to mention its over 200fps the max they got. Also your 168 grain load is 4 grains over published max with close to 250 fps over what winchester/hogdon lists. Those seems pretty excessive from all the data I have seen on the 300wsm. I have seen guys go .5 grains to maybe 2 grains over max with some very very very careful load development but not 4 grains? I dont recomend that at all!

For beginner handloaders you should always consult a manufacters starting load and max loads when you are developing your cartridge and stay inside those parameters. Use that data and never exceed what they list as the max load. They call it a Max load for a reason!!!

Last edited:
69gr win 760 is max load for 165-168gr bullets in the last two Hornady manuals. The hornady manual lists this load at 3150fps out of a 24inch barrel. Every gun is different & bullet,powder,primer,gun combos all produce different results. Everyone should work up to any load and re-work them with different lots of powder.

read through allot of posts all over the web and in books on loads. I chose H4350 in my Ruger M77 markll 300wsm.Started out at 59 gr and worked up to 65 at 1/2 grain increments. 61gr was the sweet spot for my Rifle.3 shot group at 100 yards of .888. I am happy with that.:)

IMR 7828ssc and 200-grain Partitions work well in my buddy's Savage. The short barrel is not doing you any favors. His is around 2850 and is real accurate as far has he has shot it-800 yards.

Back