Caribou Gear

.270 Win or 30-06 Sprg for Elk

I would get a Ruger M77 mark 2 in a 300 win. mag. with a very good scope, I use Nikon Monarchy 3-9 but would go with more scope power to shoot longer distances. I shoot a 3 round in a quarter size hole at 50 yds. with nosler tip 180gr. bullets. I have never had a deer complete a full step when being hit with this load and gun, shot placement is very important. Never take a iffy shot, the animal deserves a clean and quick kill if possible.

The OP already has a .270 and a 30.06 so no need to buy a 300 mag unless he just wants to add to the rifle collection. The 300 also kills at both ends.

Will you hike with one in the chamber? Some don't like to put one in until they are getting ready to shoot if they are hunting with others or are in rough terrain. It would be much easier to ease a round into the chamber of a bolt rifle. I've got a .270 BAR that my parents gave me years ago. I killed a bunch of whitetails with it in the southeast, but have since moved onto bolt rifles.
Years ago, my friend, his friend, whom I didn't know, and I went on a DIY private ranch elk hunt in NM. On the drive out, we talked about rifles. The friends friend had a .30-06 semi auto, but had left it at home at the insistence of another guy. This guy loaned him his 300 WBY, but it hadn't been sighted in. We're on the other side of Amarillo and this guy needed 300 WBY ammo!!! He got lucky in Clayton when we found a small shop full of ammo, supplies, etc. He began to site it in the day before our hunt started. After fifteen rounds, his shoulder was dead and he was still six inches low at 100 yards. He stopped shooting so he would have ammo. Of course, on day two, he killed a 5x5 at about 80 yards. Moral of the story is go to the dance with a gal you know.

personally, i have a 270, but i've yet to elk hunt with it. but when i broached the subject of using that caliber to hunt elk, many people were shocked that i would use such a 'small caliber' for such a big game animal. considering our fathers and grandfathers killed more game than i can fathom with 30-30's for decades, it's proof that an accurate shot will kill most game. plus, with advancements in bullets, core materials, bondings, etc etc, the ammo nowadays is incredibly efficient. best of luck

The 30-06 bolt action will work great. I agree with others a BAR can get a little heavy when you hike 5-12 miles a day. Either the 270 or 30-06 will drop an elk at 400 yards, but it just depends on how much you want to pack, and then again two pounds difference is not much. Good luck on your hunt.

Either caliber will work for elk. In your case, I'd reach for the '06 over the .270 based on properties of the rifle, not the caliber.

I have shot numerous elk with an '06 and .300, and I didn't notice any major differences in terminal performance...only in recoil and price.

Either one is an elk killer. Choose the rifle that you feel the most comfortable with. If you felt equally comfortable with both, then id go with the 06 becasue it hits a little harder and you have more options when it comes to ammunition.

Will you hike with one in the chamber? Some don't like to put one in until they are getting ready to shoot if they are hunting with others or are in rough terrain. It would be much easier to ease a round into the chamber of a bolt rifle. I've got a .270 BAR that my parents gave me years ago. I killed a bunch of whitetails with it in the southeast, but have since moved onto bolt rifles.
Years ago, my friend, his friend, whom I didn't know, and I went on a DIY private ranch elk hunt in NM. On the drive out, we talked about rifles. The friends friend had a .30-06 semi auto, but had left it at home at the insistence of another guy. This guy loaned him his 300 WBY, but it hadn't been sighted in. We're on the other side of Amarillo and this guy needed 300 WBY ammo!!! He got lucky in Clayton when we found a small shop full of ammo, supplies, etc. He began to site it in the day before our hunt started. After fifteen rounds, his shoulder was dead and he was still six inches low at 100 yards. He stopped shooting so he would have ammo. Of course, on day two, he killed a 5x5 at about 80 yards. Moral of the story is go to the dance with a gal you know.

I see this just about every year when I go hunting with my outfitter. We go to the range the day before the hunt starts, so everyone can confirm their zero. Every year without fail, someone shows up with a rifle that he never had a chance to shoot. He "just picked it up " at Cabelas, or wherever, and "They bore sighted it so they said it would be good". AND that hunter usually has one box of shells and after shooting his brand new rifle only has two or three shells left for the hunt. Not much available in Chama, so that leaves him scrambling and driving to Santa Fe or Albuquergue to try to find ammo for his rifle.
How someone can show up on guided Elk hunt that costs over $5000 with a gun he has never fired just leaves me shaking my head. We even have an occasional hunter who shows up with a rifle in one hand, and a scope in the other needing to be mounted.

Bottom line to the OP, either of the two rifles you have are good choices. If you decide to make a change, don't wait until the last minute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back