.257 Weatherby

So, I have another question about bullets for this gun. Last year, I ended up using the 100 gr ttsx bullets and took a heavy bodied muley, and my wife took her muley with it as well. These loads worked great. My wife loves the gun and shoots it well. She wants to use it for her sheep hunt. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are for using this same load on a thick bodied ram, or if maybe a 110 accubond or 120 partition might be better. Thoughts?

I believe the ballistics are beter to use a 115 gr partition at further distances than that of the 120. Both are good bullets but I would load the 115 partition.

Unless you want an excuse to work up a new load, the current one you're using will work just fine.

No 257 Weatherby, but a 25-06. I used 120 gr. Partitions on antelope, deer, and elk. I took a spike bull at 350 yards with that load and a young man hunting for the first time took a nice fat cow with one shot at 250 yards. I think that's a very good bullet as is the 110 gr. Accubond at those Weatherby speeds. I used to say a Partition is never a mistake but I now must also say the Accubond is never a mistake too!

Have fun and great success.

Unless you want an excuse to work up a new load, the current one you're using will work just fine.
This! Having laid my hands on a couple of wild sheep, they are not that big. IMO what worked so well on the muley's would more than work on a sheep. I'd think mo' practice would pay bigger dividends than any bullet switch would.

Back