22 million BLM acres for development?

Hardly the same thing.
Correct. Most homeowners insurance companies are highly regulated entities that have capital requirements and risk constraints that ensure they can pay claims without going out of business. Solar panel companies...not so much.

Let's not muck up something by not having at least a bit forethought. If we have to subsidize at a rate of 2x, 3x, heck 10x, in order to preserve open public lands, whose value I think we all agree has risen exponentially, so be it. It's still a wise choice, it'll still pay dividends in the future.

The amount of people willing to, or even readily conceding the "necessary" permanent development of public lands while in thread after thread lamenting to loss of access, the destruction of habitat, the threats to our public lands from x, y, and z. It just seems so bass ackwards... it shocks me. That's not what I thought this community was about.

I don't view the issue as pro or anti solar, it honestly has nothing to do with solar, but everything to do with permanent exclusive development of public lands.
I don't particularly agree with your faith in reclamation and deep time (an argument I've enjoyed many times with some civil engineer friends of mine, particularly in the context of the Pebble Mine), but your second point is well-taken and worth re-emphasizing here.

According to most home nsurance - it is covered like your patio or security system.

As far as the grid scale - do you really think these companies dont protect their 50-500 million dollar asset? They are required to - for a million reasons - but primarily accountants and lawyers. They also wouldnt be able to collect the subsidy, which they likely used to fiance the reclamation bond, so you can be sure they are required by regulators and shareholders to insure that asset.

This is not a new shed in your back yard built by sweatpants construction. There are a myriad of things to consider at that scale. One of the first things is insurance.

Correct. Most homeowners insurance companies are highly regulated entities that have capital requirements and risk constraints that ensure they can pay claims without going out of business. Solar panel companies...not so much.
Most homeowners insurers are going to exclude perils such as defective Chinese solar panels some fly by night installer slapped on your roof. They are extra picky about the age, warranty and condition of your roof shingles these days too. For good reason.

"Shopping for a standard homeowners insurance policy can be complicated, but it gets trickier when insurers categorize you or your property as high risk. High-risk homeowners insurance applies to several risk factors, such as a recently filed claim or a high rate of natural disasters in your area. Depending on the risks you and your property pose, insurers may exclude specific perils from your policy, charge a higher premium or deny you coverage altogether."

According to most home nsurance - it is covered like your patio or security system.

As far as the grid scale - do you really think these companies dont protect their 50-500 million dollar asset? They are required to - for a million reasons - but primarily accountants and lawyers. They also wouldnt be able to collect the subsidy, which they likely used to fiance the reclamation bond, so you can be sure they are required by regulators and shareholders to insure that asset.

This is not a new shed in your back yard built by sweatpants construction. There are a myriad of things to consider at that scale. One of the first things is insurance.
Have you ever filed an insurance claim.
"OH ya see right there on your roof...see a fly pooped there so that disqualifies your claim"

Most homeowners insurers are going to exclude perils such as defective Chinese solar panels some fly by night installer slapped on your roof. They are extra picky about the age, warranty and condition of your roof shingles these days too. For good reason.

"Shopping for a standard homeowners insurance policy can be complicated, but it gets trickier when insurers categorize you or your property as high risk. High-risk homeowners insurance applies to several risk factors, such as a recently filed claim or a high rate of natural disasters in your area. Depending on the risks you and your property pose, insurers may exclude specific perils from your policy, charge a higher premium or deny you coverage altogether."
Stop man-splaining insurance. You use an extreme example to try to make an invalid point. If panels are installed by a licensed installer they are covered, just like roof. They would be covered under your homeowners policy and paid at depreciated value.

Your original point was true but ridiculous because it applies to anything we buy. If Maytag goes “tits up” the warranty for that washer isn’t worth the paper it is printed on. It’s a risk we take every day. I have a house built in the early 1990s and the seal on every window failed. The warranty is void because the company went “tits up”. Windows are structural and not covered. I had to pay to replace them. I guess I could went total fraud and burned down the house and claimed catastrophic loss on insurance. But of course my rates would have gone up. I am well aware of how insurance works. I helped make the sausage for a decade.

Have you ever filed an insurance claim.
"OH ya see right there on your roof...see a fly pooped there so that disqualifies your claim"
If you have a home insurance claim - get an independent adjuster.

Comparing your home insurance to an llc with hundreds of thousands of dollars flowing by the day in contractually provided power is silly.

If you have a home insurance claim - hire an independent adjuster

Fixed it. Point is insurance companies are such crooks we need to hire outside help so we don't get screwed.

If you have a home insurance claim - hire an independent adjuster

Fixed it. Point is insurance companies are such crooks we need to hire outside help so we don't get screwed.
No doubt insurance is crooked. But the stakes are a little higher.

Plus - the panels arent the expensive part of the infrastructure. All kinds of inverters/transformers and cables are perfectly hail proof...

They arent just going to go "tits up" because of an issue.

My azz is fine, thanks for the flowers.

With jr high kids I try to pay attention to AI, quantum computing, etc, as maybe they will get a job someday.

About the time all those roads, all those panels, all that destruction happens, I'm betting a better way comes along.

We "had" to have I-15. Now, we are trying to figure out how to not slaughter thousands of deer each year. How badly we messed up fawning by cutting off winter range, how many coyotes and cats we have to have to kill to keep them from decimating trapped deer on questionable range, how much fence and overpass we need to try to remedy that road.

I doubt the dudes who built I-15"did it to destroy deer hunting in Utah. They did it to make travel more efficient, and service, cheaper.

But hey. We are MUCH smarter now

Stop man-splaining insurance. You use an extreme example to try to make an invalid point. If panels are installed by a licensed installer they are covered, just like roof. They would be covered under your homeowners policy and paid at depreciated value.

Your original point was true but ridiculous because it applies to anything we buy. If Maytag goes “tits up” the warranty for that washer isn’t worth the paper it is printed on. It’s a risk we take every day. I have a house built in the early 1990s and the seal on every window failed. The warranty is void because the company went “tits up”. Windows are structural and not covered. I had to pay to replace them. I guess I could went total fraud and burned down the house and claimed catastrophic loss on insurance. But of course my rates would have gone up. I am well aware of how insurance works. I helped make the sausage for a decade.
You made the sausage, and mention burnining down your house to stick it to the insurance company in the same post? Weird.

You made the sausage, and mention burnining down your house to stick it to the insurance company in the same post? Weird.
Insurance fraud is a legit industry. I can tell you a dozen ways to commit insurance fraud and get away with it. The problem is people can’t keep themselves from bragging about “sticking it to the insurance crooks” at the local pub.

Insurance fraud is a legit industry. I can tell you a dozen ways to commit insurance fraud and get away with it. The problem is people can’t keep themselves from bragging about “sticking it to the insurance crooks” at the local pub.
How about just not doing the fraud? Must have some PTSD after making the sausage for 10 years with the insurance crooks?

Last edited:
We're all ears.
[/QUOTE]
Should have clarified 85% chance of getting away with it. Horrible payoff skew though. 85% chance you make a few thousand. 15% chance you do jail time.

Saw an estimate that fraud was bigger than new housing construction market. People put more effort into scamming the system than a legit job. Not guys in the Bitterroot though. They have never over invoiced an insurance job. Practically angels there in the Root.

We're all ears.
Should have clarified 85% chance of getting away with it. Horrible payoff skew though. 85% chance you make a few thousand. 15% chance you do jail time.

Saw an estimate that fraud was bigger than new housing construction market. People put more effort into scamming the system than a legit job. Not guys in the Bitterroot though. They have never over invoiced an insurance job. Practically angels there in the Root.
[/QUOTE]
WTF are you talking about? You're getting over your skis, son.

Last edited:
We're all ears.

[/QUOTE]
Soooo....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back