2024 Garden!

Major F up last night. We got 3” of rain on Tuesday, and a 1/2” on Wednesday through Thursday. It was much needed, but it washed the soil off my potatoes I planted last week. I tried to cover them back up but the dirt was still too wet and just a ball of mud. Last night it froze, 32 degrees and overcast, and some of tops of my seed potatoes were exposed. I hope they will be ok.

View attachment 323688just a small harvest as spring plantings start to produce. Closed out the brussle sprout experiment. I'll make some changes to that for next season and go again. The "eight ball" zucchini it prolific
I’ve tried Brussels sprouts 4 years now. I’ve only ever had one good year. But like everything garden grown brussel sprouts are night and day difference above store bought.

Ate the 1st asparagus of the year this evening, it was outstanding.
Picked up a pile of seeds today, calling for a couple nights in the 30's this week, but will probably plant next weekend.

Couple of the winter squash putting on fruit, tomato is showing some color, one planting of dent corn is starting to tassle. Will be battling pickle worms the next couple days. They have suddenly shown up.

Putting away some pickles from the cucumber bushes finally.

Still a bit chilly at night here so I’m getting a head start. Spent a few bucks on seeds, a germination heat mat, lights, and growing media.

I get one of our three raised beds and will be growing sweet corn, two kinds of pole beans, and two kinds of winter squash. Also got some okra going for the backyard.

My partner gets the other two raised beds. She likes plucking herbs as needed so one planter will be devoted to those and leafy greens. The other one will be solely for tomatoes.

Last year was really my first time having a garden since childhood. Fortunately I remembered some stuff from 4H. Looking forward to getting back at it this year!

Just put in 2 rows of red potatoes, one row of Yukon golds, 3 rows of green beans and I'm trying 4 Russet potatoes that had big eyes sprouted. I'll put in one cherry tomato and one Roma just to eat during the year.

Radishes, Peas, Beats, Lettuce, Kale, Mustard Greens, and Carrots are in the ground direct seeded.

End of May I'll start some seeds indoors. Peat pots for Squash, Cukes, Tomatoes, and Peppers that will be direct planted along the fence or in the hoop greenhouse.

Generally the last frost is around father's day here.

So, that is when I'll put Beans, Sunflowers, Bunching onions, etc in the ground.

Currents are starting to show their leaves, Elderberries are starting to produce leaves, and I'll plant a few more of each this year.

Hopefull to eventually have a jungle for my chickens to dwell in after the harvest.

Everything is humming along here. Okra got stressed pretty good from the cool temps a little while back but it's started to liven up. Beans are starting to climb the corn. First buds are on the cherry tomato plants. Zucchini plant is monstrous. Finally got the cukes planted. We almost broke 90 for the first time today. Fed everything last Saturday for the first time, I also dusted with Sevin. 20240502_190210.jpg20240502_190214.jpg20240502_190219.jpg20240502_190223.jpg

Everything is humming along here. Okra got stressed pretty good from the cool temps a little while back but it's started to liven up. Beans are starting to climb the corn. First buds are on the cherry tomato plants. Zucchini plant is monstrous. Finally got the cukes planted. We almost broke 90 for the first time today. Fed everything last Saturday for the first time, I also dusted with Sevin. View attachment 324953View attachment 324954View attachment 324955View attachment 324956
How do you like those raised beds?

All but done planting now. I'll do like 3 more rows of beans and peas in a couple more weeks to offset them a little. Once again should of made it bigger. Every year I say I'll cut back a little next year and I don't. I plant more every year.

All but done planting now. I'll do like 3 more rows of beans and peas in a couple more weeks to offset them a little. Once again should of made it bigger. Every year I say I'll cut back a little next year and I don't. I plant more every year.
At least we won't have to water for a while!

Right. Had a micro burst come through earlier I had some pallets stacked on the side if the garage blew the damn thing about 30 feet. Just got a new roof yesterday I guess that ought to test it out.

Planted asparagus crowns a few weeks ago. I’m crossing my fingers for those but not getting my hopes up.

I was hoping to do a prescribed burn tonight but it looks like I’ll be short on help so I think it’ll be time for my daughter and I to get some seeds in the ground in our garden. I have high hopes but very low expectations. It’ll be a fun adventure, regardless.

Back