Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2017 Wyoming Elk

plumber1969

Serious question here. Coming from the Southeast, we will be hunting Southern Wyoming the last 2 weeks of September next year. Are there mosquitoes to worry about? I have been told by a friend that is a wildlife photographer that they can be absolutely brutal, and this from a guy in Florida. Please let me know if this is true and what do you use to help.

Usually by later September the mosquitoes are not bad. You'll get snow and cold by then. Coming to the Snowies?

I'm assuming you're talking about either the Sierra Madres or the Snowy Range. I can only tell you my experience. If you get some really cold nights in August/September, you'll be fine. I camped in the Snowies last summer in August and there were no bugs. It was below freezing at night. In September, I hunted in the Wind Rivers, a place notorious for bad mosquitos, and there were no bugs. Again despite warm days, night temps were below freezing. The dry summer/fall may have been a factor. I have been fishing in the Snowies in late summer at times when the bugs were brutal. Just watch night temps.

Usually by later September the mosquitoes are not bad. You'll get snow and cold by then. Coming to the Snowies?

Yes sir. A 2 week vacation with bow for me and crossbow for the wife. Going to give it hell and see what we stumble across. I have been told to expect 30's at night and highs pushing 80 during the day. My ears perked up when I heard about the mosquitoes. Thanks for the answers. We will bring the bug tamers along.

If you're in the mountains it will not be 80's during the day, more likely 60's and we had below 20 during our archery hunt last year in the Snowies, snow too. Bring a fishing rod and get a game bird license, grouse are just awesome to hunt and eat! Skeeters will not be a big problem.

Back