Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2016 Deer Hunt/Kids First Hunt

Doug in Idaho

My oldest daughter turned 10 this year and so could legally hunt here in Idaho for the first time. We practiced shooting quite a bit with her this summer, mostly off of a bench. I knew we needed to get some different type of shooting in so I got out my old set of shooting sticks and set a target up at 100 yards and got her set up. She was sitting on the ground and fired off 2 shots. I looked through the binoculars and couldn't make out any holes so I told her we better go look and see where she was hitting. This is what we found. We determined she was ready.

IMG_0331.jpg

We went to a place where I knew we could find a doe without too many problems. Had one of her younger sisters with us and we packed plenty of snacks. It wasn't cold yet so the good weather was a plus as well. IMG_0410.jpg

We were seeing deer but they were all far enough away in different canyons that we weren't going to have enough time to go after them this evening. Finally after a little more hiking and glassing we spotted a lone deer bedded down. One single doe. We worked to a little over 100 yards away and got set up on the shooting sticks. She was able to find the deer in the scope with no issues, and when the deer finally stood up she touched off the round. The doe ran about 50 yards and tipped over. I was a little shocked I must admit at how calm she was through the whole thing and a little that she had actually hit a deer. Put a perfect shot on it. I have 4 daughters and plan on this being a regular occurrence. It's a lot of fun to be in the mountains with them, even though someone has to go to the bathroom at all times it seems. I hope there are many more days like this in my future.

IMG_0417.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 420
Awesome!! I'm expecting my first child, a daughter, any day and love seeing stories like this! Congrats to both you and her!

Very cool. Congrats to her on her first deer, judging by the smile many more to come. I took all 3 of my boys deer hunting Saturday, I'd say boys might be easier but one threw up in the blind so I don't know. Congrats to her again.

Wow, that's awesome! I would be one proud Papa. Also love the "camo".

What caliber?

That deer weighs more than both of your kids put together.

I realized I had a really big smile on my face reading your report, just from the first two pictures. Fantastic bonding times father/daughter style.

Awesome. Congrats to your daughter and you on a great hunt. Will have to show my daughter you don't need camo. :)

Very very cool! Love this!
What an awesome day and memories.
Congrats to the girls - and Dad!

Congrats; what an awesome experience for both of you. My oldest daughter turns 10 next fall and I am hoping she is ready to hunt. Not rushing her at all though.

[QUOTE

What caliber?[/QUOTE]

thanks for the comments. It is a Sako .223, with 60 grain nosler partitions. I was more worried about recoil and her being accurate with a gun more than anything so have just been having her shoot that to get used to a centerfire. Figured that on a doe, and as long as I didn't let her shoot too far it'd still get the job done.

Way cool. Here's hoping northern idaho treats me as well this weekend. Football is finally over for the boy and we're gonna give whitetails a shot. Who knew you could kill something without the newest camo and rifle caliber? Congrats to your girl, and thank you for taking the time to get her out.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back