2015 cow elk

BuzzH

Had a great hunt today with a long-time, and very good friend of mine, as well as my Dad.

We found some elk right at daylight and hiked about a mile to get into shooting range.

My buddy Brian had the first shot, and I ranged the elk at 392 yards. He settled in with his new rifle, a 280AI that he had built this last year. At the crack of the rifle, he had his cow.

There were 3 more in the small group that Brian shot his from, with the other 50-60 elk high tailing it for the next county. They all just stood there, but didn't give me a shot. I could never get any of the 3 to turn broadside and when they did they were all bunched up.

Eventually they walked over the hill they were standing on, so we took off to get to Brian's cow and start working it up. I topped the ridge the 3 cows walked over, and they were on a hillside across a big flat. I ranged them at 629. I laid down prone, took a solid rest across my pack and slowly squeezed the trigger. I hit the cow in the near shoulder and it quartered through her exiting about 6 inches behind the off shoulder. She ran downhill about 20 yards and started to wobble and fell over. The 7-08 is continuing to amaze me, both with its accuracy as well as killing ability. Both of our elk were shot with accu-bonds, Brians rifle shooting the 160's and mine the 140's.

My Dad made the trip with Brian from Montana, so it was a great time with both my Dad and Brian.

Brian with his elk:

DSC00697.JPG

My 60th elk, as it laid:

DSC00699.JPG

Me with the elk:

DSC00700.JPG

My Dad and Brian, with all the elk quarters loaded up and ready to head home...what a great day:

DSC00705.JPG

Good job again buzz.... You may of covered it in a different post somewhere but could you give the Info on your rifle the 7-08 and 260 really have me interested right now and would like to see what you've come up with that's working so well.

Congrats and great shooting my friend. Did you pack it out or use sleds.....or what. I'm hoping to get me one of those this coming week down here in Wyoming.

Nothing better than good times with family and friends, great pics and write up. Amazing consistency, Buzz.

Looks like an A+ day all around. Congrats. 60 - good God that's a lot of elk.

Good job again buzz.... You may of covered it in a different post somewhere but could you give the Info on your rifle the 7-08 and 260 really have me interested right now and would like to see what you've come up with that's working so well.

My 7-08 is a Remington 700 that started life as a 243. I sent the action to pacnor trued the action,and had a 24" super match grade barrel installed. 1-9 twist, #2 contour. Timney trigger set at a crisp 2.75 lbs, breaks like glass. Speedlock firing pin assembly. Bedded in a Bell and Carlson stock.Talley lightweight low bases/rings. Leupold 3-9x40 leupold dot reticle (bought from Schmalts). Sent the scope into leupold installed an m1 elevation turret and dual erector spring.

IMG_1058.JPG

My buddy Brian has nearly the identical set up on his 280AI...and that thing shoots great as well.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justin.webb
Back