Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2008 safari

SDHNTR

This was an awesome trip. Some good critters some so-so. The kudu is a dink. There was a big one and a little one that came into the waterhole. The big one was in the lead. They went behind a big bush and I drew, when they came out I shot thefirst one without looking at the horns. I was bummed to see the big one run off unhurt. They swapped positions behind that bush. The impala was probably my best trophy. I also loved the ostrich too. They made me a nice pair of boots!

Attachments

• nate_impala_1.jpg
    nate_impala_1.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Nate impala2.jpg
    Nate impala2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 256
  • nate warthog1.jpg
    nate warthog1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 263
  • nate_blesbok.jpg
    nate_blesbok.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 265
more pictures

Attachments

• nate_funny_face_impala.jpg
    nate_funny_face_impala.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 249
  • nate_kudu.jpg
    nate_kudu.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 247
  • nate_ostrich.jpg
    nate_ostrich.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 257
  • nate zebra.jpg
    nate zebra.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 251
  • nate jackal.jpg
    nate jackal.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 249
WHOA!!! A Black Backed Jackel with a bow!!!! That is cool!!!! I was on my 6th trip before I killed my first one and that was at over 200 yds when he stopped to look back...mine was obviously not with a bow! Whacked a couple more since but they were on control hunts with buddies. A .375RUM turns them inside out.....damn Coyotes of Africa!
Just for all the stick and string guys out there, who all did you hunt with? Who was good , who was so so? I presume you were in either RSA or Namibia

Last edited:
Thanks. The landowner had been after that mangy rascal for weeks. I thought he was going to kiss me when he saw it dead. That critter came into water mid morning. He was trotting in and didn't look like he was going to stop. I came to full draw and squeeked, he stopped in his tracks and stared at the blind. Just when I couldn't hold much longer he sat down facing me. I let him have it in the chest at 25 yards. The arrow severed the spine and he went right down.

I hunted with Ken Moody. He was great. it was a very well run hunt. I had a blast but I will admit, next time I go to Africa, I want more challenge. This hunt was a bit cushy for my liking. There wasn't much challenge to it other than the shooting. That is just the way hunting in RSA is. The adventure is what makes it cool though. You get to see so much wildlife you'd never get to see otherwise. The diversity is amazing and you never know what will show up next. Even 12 hour days in the blind did not get boring. I should have spot and stalked more though, but by the time I wanted to do that the only thing left on my list was a gemsbok and they are nearly impossible to spot and stalk in this country. It is table top flat and pretty thick. Next time I want to go somewhere like Tanzania and hunt the crazy wild free range stuff in tents. Old Africa style.

Last edited:
Tanzania is not cheap...way more expensive than RSA or Namibia but they have some marvelous and unique animals.
I actually stalked close enuff to my Kirk's Dik Dik, Lesser Kudu and an East African Impala that a bow could have taken them. I hunted with well known archer Brittingham's outfit...I think it is still called Tanzania Wildlife Co. They accomodate bow hunters, in fact Larry Summers, the Bow Hunt Booking Dude was in a Camp with me a couple of nights. He actually took a Grants Gazelle with a bow! They have several concessions thru out TAN and cover all the wildlife available. Also a great country to relax and do a couple or three days of Photo Safari...Nrongoro Crater and Tarangire are great and the Big Five except maybe Leopard will be photoed up close and Cheetah and lotsa PG.
Thanks for sharing your adventure and have a great time on your next trip!

Back