1st Time Kentucky Black Bear Hunting

I'll be following along to see what you turn up with the bears! Good luck.

Heck, that hairdo alone should have the hunting gods sending you some good mojo!

I'll be following along to see what you turn up with the bears! Good luck.

Heck, that hairdo alone should have the hunting gods sending you some good mojo!
I’ll make sure to update as I go! Haha thank you, it’ll probably be much longer and uglier next time you all see me.

I like the GFI chest harness. I use mine quite a bit; they are proud of them but so far it's been a good solution for me.

Had to open up the pic with you in it. :eek: Damn, son! Looks like you couldn't hear and cut the extra out of the way! ;) Can't really say much myself. Back in the day I could have made the Allman Brothers look clean cut! Not the one with the fro, either.

I like the GFI chest harness. I use mine quite a bit; they are proud of them but so far it's been a good solution for me.
Yes! I love it. The only reason I originally got it was because I intended to use this particular firearm (Glock 10mm 40MOS with about $1,300 of custom work done on it) for hunting. I didn’t want this 10lb turd pulling my pants down on one side so I went with the chest harness and it’s so comfortable and it provides a very solid draw.

Had to open up the pic with you in it. :eek: Damn, son! Looks like you couldn't hear and cut the extra out of the way! ;) Can't really say much myself. Back in the day I could have made the Allman Brothers look clean cut! Not the one with the fro, either.
Haha well it all started for no shave November. I grow a mean mustache and my wife HATES it. I gave her a choice between a mullet and a mustache and she chose the mullet.

I hope to be chasing bear a little east of you this fall. Food is key in the fall. Acorns are the big one, but wild grapes, choke cherry and row crops are big as well. If you have a year with good overall mast it will be hard to pinpoint bears. I think most people with bear tags take them incidentally while hunting deer.

I hope to be chasing bear a little east of you this fall. Food is key in the fall. Acorns are the big one, but wild grapes, choke cherry and row crops are big as well. If you have a year with good overall mast it will be hard to pinpoint bears. I think most people with bear tags take them incidentally while hunting deer.
I've heard that as well, "I was just sitting in my deer stand and this bear walks by". I am still learning the area but there seems to be an abundance of Oak and Hickory trees. I have yet to find any berries on anything but I am mildly confident I can identify the plants before they have fruited. The area I'll be putting the next two cameras in is completely foreign to me but I'll definitely be focusing on edible vegetation closer to the bottom of the valleys near creek beds. The first two cameras are up on or close to ridges inundated by Oak trees and Hickory trees.
The proposed archery season is October 24-30th. I wonder if they'll have switched to all "hard mast" by then and if I should focus my efforts on the trees.

following this. I'm from northern ky and our bear season has had me interested lately.

following this. I'm from northern ky and our bear season has had me interested lately.
Awesome! I’ll make sure to keep this thread updated as I go along. It’ll be a little bit before I go because my wife is 37 weeks pregnant with our second child, first son. One of my friends will go check the cameras and send me pics, I’ll post them here along with anything he finds.

Hello everyone, I scanned the section for another post specifically about Kentucky and didn’t see one so I hope this isn’t a duplicate.
Today I purchased my 2020-2021 resident Sportsman’s license in KY, entered the Elk Lottery (all 3 spots) and purchased a bear permit. I am for sure going out for the archery and modern firearm season for bear. I have plenty of time to do research and I just downloaded On X.
That being said, do any of you have experience hunting black bear in KY and if so could you lend a few tips. I am curious about all of the reclaimed mountain top mine land available for hunting. Have any of you had more or less success in those areas as it relates to Bear?
Hey there I live in Harlan county, just let me no if you still need info on black bear, im sure I can help you’ we see over 10 a day this past summer’ got plenty of pics and video’ had a 300 - 375 pounder try ta take a deer from me and son last week’ got that on video “ holla thanks

Hey there I live in Harlan county, just let me no if you still need info on black bear, im sure I can help you’ we see over 10 a day this past summer’ got plenty of pics and video’ had a 300 - 375 pounder try ta take a deer from me and son last week’ got that on video “ holla thanks
Welcome to HT.

You revived a 2.5 year old thread so Let’s see it! 😁

Anyone have good recommendation for bears on public land near knott and letcher county line? I have hunted rifle the past 2 years on some private and some some public (elk horn coal area) with no success. Did see one good size bear 2022 but on land I didn’t have access to. And then a lot of sign in 2023 season. I’d really love to fill my tag in the 2024 season, I even think I might try archery season to increase my chances.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back