Kansas Turkey 2014

kansasdad

The archers, kids and disabled get a little bit of a head start to spring turkey season, today is the first weekend day of the regular season (Wednesday is traditional opener). I was in place with lots of time to spare this morning, setting up four decoys on the wooded edge of a hay field. The wooded watercourse back to the east is the headwaters of the Walnut River. Around 45 minutes before sunrise the first gobbles rang out....glad I was there on time as was close enough that I would have been busted walking in to the setup if it was lighter.http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/drmarkes1/media/021_zps4e07378d.jpg.html?sort=2&o=5

The field like many a Kansas Flint Hills field is tricky to the eyes. When you are standing up, it is possible to see the opposite edge of the field. Because the field has a crown to it, once you sit down along an edge, the opposite edge disappears from view. Running through the field are little troughs and valleys. Suddenly deer and turkeys will appear or disappear from view, almost as if Mr Scott and the Star Trek crew were playing with the transporter.

I saw one bird pitch out of the trees and land as if he were headed in, on a rope. I saw him spread his wings to stop his forward momentum, and then Mr Scott made him disappear. Just as well, as I have never once had the "traditional" flydown/boom scenario seen on countless Primos videos. Instead, I was witness to all of creation waking up, and letting the world know that they had made it through another night. Geese, mallards, teal, crows, quail, pheasants, various small birds and turkey noises drifted along with the freshening sourthern breeze.

I can neither confirm nor deny that at any time while seated in the field edge under the branches of an Eastern Red Cedar that my eyelids ever failed to go back up as fast as they came down......but then I caught movement on the far edge of the hay field. Full strut tom turkey, headed towards the woodlot to my right. Adrenaline rush over, my eyes were once again getting just a tad heavy. Once again, across the field I see a bird. Binoculars confirm a hen. I call, she stretches her neck as tall as she can trying to see over the crown of the field. She is standing still for a long time, and then begins to head over to join my group of decoys. http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/drmarkes1/media/028_zps114d8a9a.jpg.html?sort=2&o=12

Moving along while picking at this and that in the field, she is headed my direction, just a little to my left as she follows a natural contour in the field. Now within shotgun range I watch her as she slows down walking and picks up the pace of feeding. Peripheral vision catches a movement in the middle of the hay field, hello Mr BigBoy. Fan fully deployed, wing tips dragging along, he has surprised me courtesy of the Enterprise crew. Already halfway across the field, he is in full show off mode.http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/drmarkes1/media/031_zps13b4abe7.jpg.html?sort=2&o=14

]The live hen yelps, he answers with a double gobble. A fake hen yelps, he sort of gobbles......note to self, practice your mouth call more!!! He continues along the pathway she just took to get to my side of the field. The cedar tree I am camped out behind is great camouflage for me, but if he continues along to where she is standing, I will almost have no shot. I call again, he puffs out even more, stops and does a little dance for us. Bright white, and yet blue head, on-fire neck color, and the sun dances off his feathers gold, green, black, orange hues of great beauty.http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/drmarkes1/media/035_zps3a502b08.jpg.html?sort=2&o=17

He is just in range. I have put the camera down, afraid that I will make too much movement or noise and blow this opportunity. I barely breath on the diaphragm and he gobbles again. Shifting to his left, and moving now not on a straight track of the object of his affection, he seems to think that his best move is to go where there are more hens than the one he has been following. I am silently willing him to continue towards the decoys, and when he clears the last tips of the cedar branch I release the safety, and line him up for the final dance.

Last edited:
Original post now have active links to the pics. Soo sorry for not getting it right this time. .
021_zps4e07378d.jpg.html

028_zps114d8a9a.jpg.html

029_zps194de6f3.jpg.html

031_zps13b4abe7.jpg.html

035_zps3a502b08.jpg.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:
Way to get it done my friend!! Great write up and great pics!! get that other one tagged before the 30th and I'll let you guide me!!! lol. I m getting pumped. . .our season opens the 23rd and then we are headed out there on the 30th. :D

Just when the rites of spring and a turkey's thoughts turn to making more turkeys this happens....got to love Kansas' wacky weather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 695
Might have figured a way around the picture blockade:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 671
I usually use a newspaper wrapper to cover up a bloody head for the trip back to the van. I also pack a heavy work glove for keeping my tender fingers from damage on the carry out.

For this birds last walk across the field I used a newly purchased Primos carry strap. There is an orange head pouch with a strap for the head and another one for the legs. The shoulder strap is thrown over the shoulder and you have turned your ungainly bird into a turkey satchel. I experimented carrying head or tail first, and head first worked best for me. I will use this strap on every subsequent turkey I take.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 661
Well congrats neighbor! nice Tom.

I was able to tag #1 Saturday evening. A two year old with not much on spurs 3/4" and a 9 1/2" beard but he did weigh 21 lbs 4 oz.

Yesterday was quite a contrast with snow on the ground compared to the 84 degrees we had Saturday.

Good luck on the rest of your season with your youngsters!:D

Great writeup Kansasdad. I punched tag #1 with my bow last Friday and we bailed Sunday morning to try and beat the weather. Do you Kansas guys think May 16-18 is to late to get into birds. That's my only open weekend and I'm trying to decide if its worth going back. I'd have my two young boys with me so I'm concerned about ticks.

I usually use a newspaper wrapper to cover up a bloody head for the trip back to the van. I also pack a heavy work glove for keeping my tender fingers from damage on the carry out.

For this birds last walk across the field I used a newly purchased Primos carry strap. There is an orange head pouch with a strap for the head and another one for the legs. The shoulder strap is thrown over the shoulder and you have turned your ungainly bird into a turkey satchel. I experimented carrying head or tail first, and head first worked best for me. I will use this strap on every subsequent turkey I take.
I like that idea! I use a vest, but for carrying very far it kinda sucks. I may have to see if I can make one of those. A couple of D rings and an old gunsling might work...

Do you Kansas guys think May 16-18 is to late to get into birds. That's my only open weekend and I'm trying to decide if its worth going back. I'd have my two young boys with me so I'm concerned about ticks.

No, not too late at all. As a matter of fact I think birds are hotter and easier to call in at that time compared to now.

Grass etc will be taller, poison ivy a little more prevalent , and probably more ticks and snakes depending on where you go. If you treat your clothing with permethrin prior to coming out that should take care of the tics.

No, not too late at all. As a matter of fact I think birds are hotter and easier to call in at that time compared to now.

Grass etc will be taller, poison ivy a little more prevalent , and probably more ticks and snakes depending on where you go. If you treat your clothing with permethrin prior to coming out that should take care of the tics.

+1.

Started with the permethrin treated clothing two years ago and have been tick free ever since. The spray last for six weeks according to the labeling. I hate ticks enough to do a retreat at 4 weeks. As the son of a vet I am used to cross species medications. I have used the farm concentrate and dilute it for my personal use.

Last edited:

I just got in a big bottle of the permethin for the tics. . . If I stumble onto some snakes, does urine soaked pants deter them? LOL I'll be out on the 30th. . .hope the birds and weather cooperate!

. I also pack a heavy work glove for keeping my tender fingers from damage on the carry out.

hmmm this might revoke a man card in some places :D or calling it a turkey satchel

hmmm this might revoke a man card in some places :D or calling it a turkey satchel

Thanks Mudranger1, I think:D

Occupation requires surgical gloves use, thus the tender fingers. I was gonna call it a turkey purse! and I just knew that would never fly:p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back