Camera Season

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera that I'd carry in my pack while hunting and doing other outdoor activities.

It should be relatively small and light weight.

I'd also use it to capture video footage.

It needs to be a fairly fool proof unit for a guy like me!

Something that is point/shoot and takes photos fast enough that I don't miss the action.

My price range is $800 or less, any suggestions?

MDJ

Here are some pictures that I took with the Nikon P510. The pictures might look a bit fuzzy/noisy since they got substantially downsized when posted online.

The first one I had printed on a large (24"x36") canvas and it looks great.
13781361814_c42d32a462_c.jpg

13781341814_9ebd5ccffc_c.jpg

13781326994_811f59b844_c.jpg

Check out the Olympus "Tough" cameras. Sturdy, waterproof, 16 megapixels, zoom, flash - all for + or - $200 depending on model. Like mine so far, but I haven't really learned how to use it. Really easy to carry, small.

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in and shared their opinion on cameras here.

I looked at both the Canon SX50 and Panasonic FZ200.
Sanity, If you were to choose one of the two cameras that you mentioned above, which would you go with?

Gerald & Cornell - I have to admit that the P510 video and photos are impressive.

Check out the Olympus "Tough" cameras. Sturdy, waterproof, 16 megapixels, zoom, flash - all for + or - $200 depending on model. Like mine so far, but I haven't really learned how to use it. Really easy to carry, small.

HuntRme - It looks like there are many models of "Tough" cameras, is there a particular one that you'd recommend?

My dad has the P510 and I played around with it a lot during our last hunt. I was quite impressed overall.

Matthew, your dad's thread about the P510 was what inspired me to buy it. For the price, I've been impresssed as well. There's a couple of "alleged" fish snaggers/poachers that aren't as impressed about the superzoom qualities of the P510 as were the judges and juries at their trials, but since said judges' and jury's decisions have been appealed, that probably a story better saved for another time. :)

Muledeerjunkie- I wouldn't put the P510 in the category of "tough" cameras if that's important to you.

I would take a look at Pentax DSLRs and a Pentax WR lens. While a Pentax is not the absolute best for video it can still take decent video and all but the lowest entry level cameras have weather sealing in the body. Something to take a look at. I bet you could get a K-30 and a lens or 2 for around your budget on Amazon.

Pretty much all of these photos have been taken with a Pentax K5 and some various lenses I bought new or used. I pack way to much into the mountains, but I love what I come back with most of the time even if I don't fill a tag. But then again, I have used point and shoots that did what I wanted also for 10 years before I bought my DSLR.

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a new digital camera that I'd carry in my pack while hunting and doing other outdoor activities.

It should be relatively small and light weight.

I'd also use it to capture video footage.

It needs to be a fairly fool proof unit for a guy like me!

Something that is point/shoot and takes photos fast enough that I don't miss the action.

My price range is $800 or less, any suggestions?

MDJ

Mule deer junkie,
You might want to check out a new Panasonic Lumix ZS40 as it's loaded with features - 18 megapixels, 30X LEICA zoom lens, HD video, GPS, NFC (links up to your smartphone), gyroscoptic balancing of your photos, and many others ! It will fit in your shirt pocket !
I have a Lumix ZS19 and a FZ200, both Panasonics, and I'll vouch for their quality, especially their picture quality. Below is a link for the info from Panasonic.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-ZS40S

Mule deer junkie,
You might want to check out a new Panasonic Lumix ZS40 as it's loaded with features - 18 megapixels, 30X LEICA zoom lens, HD video, GPS, NFC (links up to your smartphone), gyroscoptic balancing of your photos, and many others ! It will fit in your shirt pocket !
I have a Lumix ZS19 and a FZ200, both Panasonics, and I'll vouch for their quality, especially their picture quality. Below is a link for the info from Panasonic.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-ZS40S

The lumix are for sure great cameras.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back