MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Muzzleloaders in MT

Who would support a Muzzleloader season in MT? Almost every other state has something like it but we don't. I know the MT Bowhunter Association has lobbied against it in the past and that is probably part of the reason why we don't have one but I feel like maybe just a week long Muzzy season would be awesome maybe between archery and rifle or maybe a late season one after general season even if its special draw. What do you guys think? Would it be good or would it put too many restrictions on our current liberal seasons?

Presently there is a very liberal muzzleloader season, concurrent with the general rifle season.

Personally I am opposed to cutting out separate and distinct seasons for muzzleloaders, crossbows, and atlatls. Ample opportunities now exist for those weapons. Assigning separate seasons means taking opportunities from others. Granted, Montana is different from other states. Is that necessarily a bad thing?

There's no muzzleloader season in Montana, but they still work in Montana. Here's a cool picture of my dad with one of his flintlocks.

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 561
I agree with the others...5 weeks of ML opportunity now. No reason for any more than that.

'Just realized there is actually more opportunity for muzzleloaders in addition to the general rifle season in weapons restricted areas, which have longer seasons.

One of the problems with muzzleloaders today is that certain ones basically have the range of a centerfire. And, as others have stated, there are a lot of opportunities in the weapons limited areas. mtmuley

I am a bow hunter, a rifle hunter, and I also like hunting with black powder.I would like to see a one week season after the general rifle season for traditional B.P.

I am a bow hunter, a rifle hunter, and I also like hunting with black powder.I would like to see a one week season after the general rifle season for traditional B.P.

Hem, no shots (not yet), but why?

Hem, are you willing to give up all the General Rifle Season and Weapons Restricted Area muzzleloader opportunity to have a one week separate muzzleloader season?

Hem, are you willing to give up all the General Rifle Season and Weapons Restricted Area muzzleloader opportunity to have a one week separate muzzleloader season?

Who says you have to give up other seasons why cant we go from archery to muzzleloader to general rifle, all on a general tag like we do now? Also weapons restricted areas would be separate from the normal seasons just as they are now or am I confused?

Not interested in getting in a pissing match over this one,its just my opinion.Not certain how to interpret your comments Miller.
I know how people get their undies bunched up over this one so its pointless to debate.What it boils down to is opposition based upon the paranoia that once there is a designated B.P. season, supporters will push for more,with eventual infringement upon long standing bow and gun seasons.That is pure speculation.Fair enough,though.Its my opinion that a one week season for traditional black powder after the general rifle shouldn't raise the ire of anybody.Archers have a designated 5 week season but also can hunt during rifle season,so both ruts are available.This is a good deal.Rifle hunters in Montana have a deer rut.Again,no reason to complain.Weapons restriction areas are a joke.Its damn near impossible to find a place to hunt deer in the Gallatin valley, and a place like Canyon Ferry is over run with hunters.The likes of Toby Bridges do more harm than good for simple guys like myself that like to get out with a bonnafide smokepole now and again.I am happy to use the in-line during the general anyway,though with some of my chokes its a wonder I bother.:) Its a fantasy that doesn't sound that unreasonable.IMO

When's enough enough to an already very generous hunting season. Certainly no catering towards in-line, they're just reinventing the wheel. I love shooting bp and understand the arguement towards traditional, go hunt wra's and backcountry then. I personally feel we need to rein in our seasons before there is nothing left for the common man to hunt.

This idea of a separate season will never happen so its really a mute point.Ten weeks(or more) to hunt is awesome,certainly don't feel underprivileged.But still haven't heard a viable argument for why a separate late season hunt is putting anything at risk,... and I have read all the lengthy previous threads over the years,on this site and others.By the way,lets not misunderstand,I am not suggesting additional tags.What is putting our hunting at risk is poor game management,through the over allotment of tags.THAT is the problem now.Whole different topic for discussion.

In SD we have a muzzy season, but we also only have 2 1/2 weeks of a rifle season. I can see certain aspects of a separate muzzy season in MT would not go over well, due to the long rifle season. If there is a separate muzzy season in any state, I believe in NO scopes. use iron sights only, then the new style muzzleloaders range would not be so far. Or you go doe only licenses for a muzzy season, so no bucks are taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back