Elk pack on a Budget??

SWMontana1

Looking for a pack that will be comfortable for a couple days tops, (maybe a one night stay) but more than likely one day. And will get the job done packing out an elk when I get one a few miles pack... I can't afford MR packs (unless there are some cheaper ones that I don't know about)... Wondering if anyone has any experience with comfortable, remotely light, and resonably prices packs for packing out elk??? thanks.

Badlands are about half the money of MR on ebay even cheaper, I have one day pack of theirs, I carried one in Afghanistan for a whole deployment as well held up nicely. <$200 you can find a good one. The customer service is good from what I hear. Have you been to second wind in BOZ?

Picked up a cabelas frame pack of craiglist a few years ago. It has been working pretty good for me. Nothing flashy about it, but it gets the job done and is petty comfortable to boot.

Several of my friends and I now have these packs. http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/outdoorz/products/packs/commander-pack-bag

Check online (ebay etc) and you should be able to get the pack and bag for under $80. I did a pro-test for them and got it for +-$60. Have packed out three elk using them and they are user friendly. Integrated lashing straps w/quick release, good shelf and a package of extra bits and pieces comes with it. The bag is large as well. Not the quality of a MR but at the price it is a BIG bargain.

Looks like a great pack for the $.

The only minor issue I have had was that the wire retaining rings that secure the clevis pins snagged my shirt the first couple of times I used it. So I bought a pack of plain key rings (.99) and replaced them :)

I have two osprey packs, a Kestrel 38L for a daypack (got it for about $100) and a Aether 70L for overnighters or packing (had it for a few years, but probably +-$200). The Kestrel works great as a day pack and held up fine with my day gear, plus a elk hind quarter (deboned). I don't think I would want much more than that in it though. For what you're talking about check out the Kestrel 48 and the Atmos 50. The Ospreys are not bombproof like MR, but have held up well for me and are half the weight.

If you can find a good deal on an old Dana you'll be set. Kind of a big if though.

Cabelas has a more than adequate Alaskan external frame pack for about $150.

I've tried just about every high end pack available, and I can safely say that a cheap external frame can compete with all of them for weekend trips.

If you're thinking about the Alaskan take a good look at the alps. Retired my alaskan and bought the alps. It's what the alaskan should be for less $. Fantastic for packing meat with minimum hassle. I got the bag and frame from amazon for just over $100. If that's the kind of pack you're after. Haven't used the bag. It's big enough to hold more than I want to carry.

Just find a used MR and be done with it. They are money, I have never had a better pack, and if you find one you like you know. I have had big money packs specially made and nothing caries as well as this MR or is as quiet, find a way to make it in your price range. Plus, you can put more meat in the thing than you can lift.

I have been using my Kelty Redcloud recently. It has enough space for extended backpacking trips but can cinch down fairly small. I'm using it because I have it and don't want to spend the money on something I don't "need." The downsides are: the synthetic material is not quiet in the brush, as I found out by putting an entire mule deer buck and head on the pack, the straps work their way loose when you have 130+ lbs on the pack. I think you can find these for around $140. I would also look at external frame packs, they are usually cheaper and you can easily strap your gear onto them or find smaller packs to attach to the frame. Good luck

I have used the Cabelas frame packs for many years and hauled out hundreds of pounds of deer and elk and few antelope with them. They are comfortable and handle a lot of weight. They only have three pockets, so you do not have room taken up by lots of small compartments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back