Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gulf fishing

Bambistew

Randy was making me a bit jealous of those 'eyes he was posting... figured I'd put up a picture of a real fish. :D

We headed out of Whittier to the Gulf of Alaska in search of big fish, with Crazy Ray's Adventures. We made it about 80 miles from the harbor before dropping down. Tough conditions with minimal current (I think) made for a sluggish bite. Wasn't expecting big 'but, but was hoping for some slug ling cod... we did ok, but worked pretty hard for most of the fish.

A couple times we had rock fish and salmon boiling around he boat but couldn't get them to hit anything. Usually you can't keep them off the line. Maybe they were full? Pretty neat to see a big school of fish swarming the boat.

This one was about 40ish lbs, most of the halibut were in the 12-18lb range. The big ling was taken in the halibut hole in about 375' of water. We also caught some decent black rockfish as well.

Hope we can get out again this summer/fall and catch some more lings... Easily the funnest fishing I've ever done! Jigging with a 24oz jig, bouncing the rock piles is exciting, you never know what's going to hit!

Attachments

• nice 2.jpg
    nice 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 316
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 307
  • bait.jpg
    bait.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 290
That's a lot of fine eating right there. I just deep fried a bunch of black rockfish chunks for a 4th of July party and it was delicious.

Good stuff, I've been out twice here in CA, once for rocks and once for salmon.

My AuPair with a nice copper

Cleaning time, most of the days haul was widows and blues.

My wife with a king

Solid day overall for us with limits.
484695_10201093035384521_1264799827_n.jpg

Back