.243 Rifle

Summitthunting

My dads kicking the tires on getting one and I was wondering who shoots one? What make, model? He wants a standard barrel, blue/walnut. Will be used on deer, antelope and turkeys. $500-$800 price range.

I have a pre-64 Winchester M70 Featherweight. I LOVE it.

my dad has a .243 winchester model 70 that was his deer, antelope and whatever else rifle for like 30 yrs. he loves it, as do i. hes never had a single problem with it. i killed my first deer with it. i recently got a ruger american in .243 and love it. i cant tell u how many times people have said a .243 is too small for deer, but we've never had problem.

If you can find a Savage model 11 Lightweight Hunter it may be what you're looking for, around 5.5 lbs before a scope and I'm a fan of Savage's Accutrigger. I just got a Lightweight in .260 and still need to finalize a handload for it, but so far I really like it.

I just bought a Howa 1500 ranch hand(something like that), 22" barrel, rubber stock, came with a scope. That thing will flat shoot!! Short easy to handle, light, very very little recoil. I would buy another in a second! $499 at Cabelas just the other day.
My son just bought a Savage 10 Predator hunter in .243, heavy barrel, nice gun but doesnt fit as nice as the Howa and doesnt seem to shoot as well. Has twice the recoil as the Howa even tho it is heavier.

Ruger Model 77 here and it is a fine, accurate little rifle. A pleasure to shoot and hunt with.

HD

I have shot my savage 110 for 30+ years and it is the most accurate rifle I own. I use 36 grains of IMR 4895 pushing a 100 gr. Hornady interlock bullet. Put it in the boiler plate, watch them go 50 yds max and go pick them up. Killed an antelope at 419 yds that maybe went 100 yds. Great caliber, rifle and load.

If he wants lightweight you might be able to squeeze a wood kimber in to that price range. It would make one sweet little rifle.

Can't go wrong with a hawkeye either, although they're definitely not featherweights.

My kids have a marlin xs7 in .243. I love shooting this rifle, the recoil is light and the riifle consistently shoots under 1" groups. My kids have taken 6 mule deer and 2 antelope with it. Five dropped in their tracks, the other 3 ran less than 80 yards.

If he wants lightweight you might be able to squeeze a wood kimber in to that price range. It would make one sweet little rifle.

Can't go wrong with a hawkeye either, although they're definitely not featherweights.
+1 on the Kimber, but it'd have to be used. Might be able to score a Win 70 Featherweight for that price as well. A Rem CDL in 243 wouldn't be hard to like either. A bit depends on the definition of light.

Another option, that's pretty cool IMO, if he doesn't mind used is a Sako Forester. They can be found at the top end of that price range.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/958789754/Sako_Forester_243.htm

My wife has a winchester model 70 featherwieght. I used it to kill my mule deer this year at 420 yards. I think thats pushing the maximum limit for this caliber on larger deer. A good quality bullet is a must, especially if your going to be taking longer shots.

I have a Browning A-bolt in .243. It is a great antelope gun. I shoot 87gr BTHP bullets out of it and it seems to work very well. Every member of my family has killed Antelope with it. Last year my 12yo daughter shot her first buck with it.

Not trying to push you away from the .243, but I bought a 7mm-08 from Marlin last year. It was for my daughter, and she's got it dialed in at the range, but I used it for my deer. That thing is a tack driver. It was only $400. I put a vortex scope on it.

I'll be using it for antelope this year, my daughter will be off at college.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back