Meat Eater TV Show

I agree with what Steve says. Although I have been on a couple HF hunts for exotics and hogs and to each their own this seems a bit over the top.

I do not hunt high fence. I have a good friend who runs a high fence operation so I am familiar to a minimal extent. I am not a knowlegable source however.
That sort of harvest is not for me although similar practices take place on a beef ranch. (animal is raised for our consumption). My biggest problem is when Joe or Bill or Bob claims to have hunted hard for his trophy as legions of ethical HUNTERS do, when he actually hunted high fence. I also have a problem with HF operations claiming the hunt is as hard as any western hunt.
I would throw in another qualifier-predictability. When I head up No-Tellum Ridge I may or may not get an elk, the outcome is unknown. Effort may in some cases be minimal but outcome is always unknown. HF operations generally guarantee success.
I SUPPORT his advertising method however!!! He is not advertising a tough western elk hunt. He is not claiming this is anything more than what it is-a canned hunt. If he said it was a difficult hunt within an enclosure costing $2500 OBO for guaranteed success we would all be flaming him. Rightfully so. He is honestly advertising a commodity and will sadly find success.

As Carrion said, they can be a reservoir for disease. They also can be made up of different types of animal genes. Game farmers have been known to mix in Red Deer in their elk herds for the crowning effect of the horns. When those animals escape from the farm, they carry that gene. Could you imagine our future elk populations, only roaring during the rut, instead of the bugle?

In areas where you have native animals that run wild, game farms are a ticking time bomb. This was part of the reason we, banned the hunting on game farms in Montana.

Just to back up what CC stated, there is a anti-hunting group near me, they enclosed red deer to stop them being hunted, they had 2 problems, the deer ate more than they were prepared to feed them, and then they became riddled with TB, and although they denied it they were reported to the RSPCA for cruelty.
They are called the League Against Cruel Sports, the place, Barronsdown.
Cheers
Richard

I agree with Steve completely. I'm ecstatic for each and every squirrel I shoot. I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I was asked to kill a trophy elk in a shooting zoo.

Emrah

I don't see how selling an elk behind a high fence is any different than selling a TV show about killing an elk. No matter how you package it they both profit from the death of an animal.

Depends on the t.v. show. If you're shooting animals fair chase (or not shooting one at all) is different than sniping one over a pallet load of C'Mere Deer and calling yourself a "hunter".

Emrah

I don't see how selling an elk behind a high fence is any different than selling a TV show about killing an elk. No matter how you package it they both profit from the death of an animal.

WOW, I guess Randy should have opened up a game farm instead of OYOA, since this is strictly about profit. You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is:D

since this is strictly about profit.

I never said that.

I'm just saying outdoor television profitting from the death of animals, is no different than a high fence outfitter profitting from the death of an animal. I find it hypocritical of Steve Rinella to judge the outfitter for how he chooses to profit from hunting.

I'm not saying anybody involved is right or wrong, just sharing my thoughts.

Depends on the t.v. show. If you're shooting animals fair chase (or not shooting one at all) is different than sniping one over a pallet load of C'Mere Deer and calling yourself a "hunter".

Emrah

I don't see how the animal was killed(assuming that it's legal) makes a difference. Dead is dead.

We as hunters need to regard canned hunts as what they truly are–shooting domestic animals. The practice has nothing to do with the true culture and discipline of hunting. It’s a sham. –Steven Rinella

Dead is dead, but respect goes to the guy who goes out and earns it.

Not sure how many have heard Rinella's interview with Joe Rogan, but it's very interesting.

I don't see how the animal was killed(assuming that it's legal) makes a difference. Dead is dead.

I am actually a bit surprised by your comments. To be part of a forum like this.(TV/Online Forum) and to post a comment such as the one and ones you have actually makes little sense. You are supporting the show by being part of the online forum. However, you by your post state that you dont support hunting TV shows and that it is no different than hunting behind a high fence.
At least that is what I get from what is said.

I could go on for a while on this but I will just shut up now.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

However, you by your post state that you dont support hunting TV shows and that it is no different than hunting behind a high fence.
At least that is what I get from what is said.

Again, I never said anything about not supporting a show.

I'm saying hunting shows are a for profit business. High-fence outfitters are a for profit business. The main focus of both businesses is hunting and killing animals for money.

I enjoy hunting tv and websites as much as anybody.

i personally feel that high fence hunts are a joke. i dont see how someone could be too proud of shooting a big bull, buck, or whatever inside high fences. just my opinion.

Don't mix up "high fence" with "canned" hunts. There are ranches in Texas that are so big you would have no idea there is a perimeter fence of any type!

do it on your own and on public land and you have my respect. This is not to say that if I were wealthy and could afford a guide on private land that I would thumb my nose at it...I will let you know once I have won the lottery.

I am just so against any non Fair Chase hunting its hard for me to see things like this. Especially to this extent, I know they go on but for a TV show to promote them makes me a little ill. I may be blind or something to not notice this more, but this just caught me by surprise. I have nothing against having a guide help you out on a fair chase hunt, however I just don't agree with this type of hunt.
Also if you are raising red deer....... like some have said, why don't you just do it yourself and fix your own mistakes instead of always trying to make a buck off of it. Just an opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360inthe406
Back