IDFG opposes Selling of LAP tags

thegamegtr

Just had this e-mailed to me--trying to get an actual copy, but thought you might like to see it.

Dear Senators:

The Idaho Fish and Game Commission opposes Senate Bill 1283. This bill creates new public policy allowing landowners to sell their Landowner Appreciation Program tag (LAP) tag to the highest bidder. We respectfully request you reject Senate Bill 1283.

Our rationale for not supporting Senate Bill 1283:

The LAP tag program originated as acknowledgement of wildlife benefits provided by private property/landowners. The tag is a mechanism to allow larger acreage landowners the opportunity to hunt both on their private property and public land when their private property was in controlled hunt areas. The LAP tag is a "draw tag" specifically for a pool of eligible landowners so draw odds are often better than for sportsmen in regular controlled hunts. The LAP tag was never meant to provide direct financial gain for a landowner by allowing landowners to sell their hunting opportunity.

The Commission recognizes and fully supports a private property owner's right to manage access to their land, including the ability to charge a fee for access. This legal mechanism allows landowners to financially benefit from their private property access rights without selling LAP tags. This is the basis of the Department's Access Yes program, a financial contract with willing landowners to provide property access.

The Commission fully recognizes that public wildlife causes private property damage but the LAP tag is not the proper or necessary mechanism to compensate landowners for crop depredation by wildlife via sale of a LAP tag. The State of Idaho and sportsman's license dollars already fund a specific program that provides compensation for crop damage by wildlife. In fact, sale of LAP tags may exacerbate compensation claims because landowners would have incentive to disallow depredation hunts on their property to increase value of their LAP tag for exclusive hunting opportunity. This incentive could result in one landowner providing safe harbor for wildlife for hunting that then depredates on a neighbor's crops, already a growing concern in parts of Idaho. To be eligible for depredation compensation, landowners must allow reasonable access for hunting, unless it impacts their operation.

The LAP tag is not limited to a landowner's property but is valid for the entire controlled hunt area. This is in recognition of wildlife benefit from private property and landowners but wildlife may not be on the property for landowner access during hunting season. However, with LAP tag sale, landowners would also be selling hunting opportunity on public land, especially in cases where the tag purchaser is prohibited access to the landowner's property.

Money generated from the sale of LAP tags would benefit private landowners without commensurate benefit to the wildlife resource (on or off of private property) for which the LAP tag is issued. Sale of LAP tags may further erode sportsman and landowner partnerships to uphold hunting access to wildlife as a public trust resource. Landowners that currently participate in the Access Yes program may decide there is more money in closing off existing access to their private land and selling their LAP tag for exclusive hunting, a detriment to Idaho sportsmen. Landowners that still freely allow sportsman access may also be financially incentivized to restrict free access to provide more exclusive hunting opportunity. We foresee increasing pressure for the Fish and Game Commission to manage wildlife in a manner to benefit private financial gain, such as emphasis on trophy animals, rather than managing wildlife as a public trust resource.

Many of the LAP tags are in coveted controlled hunts that may take a sportsman a lifetime to draw. Landowners may begin to expect to always get a tag to sell yet sportsmen must participate in a democratic process to draw a similar tag.

Senate Bill 1283 is contrary to the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and its tenet of democracy of hunting and the public trust doctrine. The Fish and Game Commission has heard from many sportsmen across the state that do not support Senate Bill 1283 and will be very dissatisfied with its passage.

The Commission recognizes strong partnership with private landowners and upholding healthy, working landscapes is absolutely necessary to fully achieve wildlife benefits for sportsman and all Idaho citizens. The Commission believes that allowing the private sale of LAP tags is inconsistent with this partnership. The Commission feels this bill compromises and undermines the Commission's authority and ability to deal with difficult wildlife management and access issues.

I've contacted every legislator in my district and sent emails to the committee this bill came out of. Hopefully everyone else has done the same.

I contacted the committee before the reading (no response) and have contacted my senators since. I received one reply, stating that the senator did not understand the law before my email, and thanking me for bringing it to his attention- he promised to re-read the law, as well as the Fish and Game dept's letter.

I find Siddoway's self-serving proposal almost treasonous to the spirit of Idaho. We really should elect people we can trust, one of these times.

That's why we have fought to keep from going down that road. We gave Landowners a preference tag. Only issued to them or their agent. Still not entirely fair but better than yours. Idaho is sitting on the verge of Ranching for Wildlife type of system. Good luck in your fight.

Thanks I'm afraid we may need all the luck we can get this session.

Don Peay is probably up there to read it for the third go around and give it his blessing!!! My fingers are crossed that your state doesn't start going down that slippery slope!!!

Odds are S1282 will be the next bill to hit the floor. It's basically the same same as 1283 but requires land owners to allow access in return for being able to sell their tags. There is no stipulation as to where or how much access is allowed so it wouldn't help much and would still allow them to profit off our wildlife.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back