CO 3rd season Unit 61 Halftime report

T Bone

What are the chances of finding another "once in a lifetime" buck in my spotting scope in the same year?

Found an absolute beast on Friday. Wide, deep, heavy, trash. He had it all. Found him opening morning, moved to within 600 yards and waited for him to top the next ridge....When he did, I moved in fast, giggling loudly, but so did the friggin blizzard. Never saw him again....yesterday he was killed by another hunter. Supposedly 37" wide counting the stickers. I didn't see him, but the guy I talked to saw him dead, and it was killed in my area. It's gotta be the same buck.

So today I came home for a shower, some laundry, a hot meal, etc. I head back tomorrow starting over. The area I'm hunting doesn't hold a lot of deer, but the few I've seen are big.

Here is a buck I passed. Maybe foolishly. But when you've got Mongo buck on the brain, shooting deer like this makes no sense.
picture.php

Other things I've learned.

1) 3-season tents aren't intended for CO 3rd season. Complete collapse is likely with 8" of new snow.

2) A 20 pound pissed off bobcat can back this 225 pound guy down rather quickly.

3) Hot chocolate is a double edged sword. Good going down at bed time. Bad at 4 am pee-time.

What are the chances of finding a 3rd "buck of a lifetime"? Dunno, but I'm going to try.

Nice work T-Bone! Sorry to hear about your monster... but you've got plenty of time. And they're starting to come out a little more. Good to hear there are still some heavy bucks in the area. I think you've got a descent chance of finding another- depending on the competition. If you have the rest of the week to hunt, then you're set up right. Good Luck!

You are insane, passing on that HAWG TBone ---- hope he is not in the bed of a truck and end of another story for ya. 3rd times a charm, cannot wait to see what you find where you are! (A 37 inch spread would certainly give a guy more then mongo on the brain, I'd have a rise in the levi's too).

Obviously wasn't your monster. Yours is still waiting for you. Go get him. Careful not to pee on the bobcats that early in the morning. Too dark to know which way to run.

Krshunter you just made me spit out my hot chocolate, i am luaghing so hard.. Hope you get the one you want, hold out.

Any more pictures of the one you passed? He looks to be near 30 and heavy?

Bummer you didn't get the big boy.

You are foolish!!! But if the attached photo is of the buck you saw, I could understand.

Attachments

• coloradobuck.jpg
    coloradobuck.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,387
Glad you are living well in CO. Guessing you are not missing the ditch parrots and 110" Hills deer.

Good luck with the rest of your hunt. Looking forward to hearing...and seeing...more.

T Bone...From what I saw during sept. bear and scouting, you are correct, there are not alot of big bucks, but there are some real toads! Looks like alot of snow, how much is sticking up there? I am hunting 4th season in #62 for elk. Good luck looking for Mongo!

Good luck, TBone. I hope you find that one. My season would have been over with the one in the pic. If, I could have controlled myself well enough to hit him.

Arffdog! You drew 4th season buck?! If so, I'm signing you up for the live hunt- consistent updates are required. AND pics, pics, pics.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back