Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Archery Antelope tips

blue devil

Looking in 2011 to hunt antelope for the 1st time with a bow. Looking for any tips to increase the chances of taking a speed goat with a bow?

1. Find a water hole
2. Set up blind at said water hole.
3. Sit in blind and sweat your butt off.

This approach almost worked for me last year. I also tried spot and stalk, but wasn't nearly sneaky enough. I might try a helmet or decoy next year if I draw again.

I knew that spot and stalk was how I was going to be successful. I practiced shooting at longer distances. I was able to get my arrows within a 6 inch group at 65 yards. I would say to practice shooting at longer distances and have lots of patience!

They're pretty particular about where they cross fences. If you're not going to spot and stalk, locate those fence crossings as well as watering holes like the guys before mentioned.

with a wet year such as 2010 was, is the water hole a little more hit and miss than usual? Spot and stalk looks the funnest and most challenging.

All good advice in all these posts. I get nothing for saying this, but there is no way I am going archery antelope hunting ever again, without the Be The Decoy hat and shirt. I am sure Bugler can attest, this thing is a game changer.

Be The Decoy

IMG_5308.JPG

Is that for Real? I have never seen that before. Pretty funny, but if it works then you can't argue with it.

More real than Obama's birth certificate. :D

This is not a photoshop of Bugler. Trust me, when this episode airs next summer, you are going to want to have your order already sent. It works that well.

IMG_5318.JPG

The best thing I have ever done while spotting and stalking lopes is to pattern them for several days in advance. Know where they are going to be at first light. Then slip in quietly under the cover of darkness. Lopes don't see nearly as well in the dark. Put yourself in a place to intercept them and wait for it to get light. You may not always get close enough, but you will almost always get much closer than you would in broad daylight.

Found a few more pics. It does really work.

P1140532.jpg

P1140561.jpg

P1140582.jpg

One tip to improve your chances would be to not have a camera guy with you. ;)

Big Fin- those are awesome pics. I can't wait for the episode, I'm sure its a good one. Did someone on this site make those or sell them?

I don't have any tips, I as well will be trying for a 'lope in '12 with a bow. Good luck and keep the advice coming!

An internet friend has been using them for some time now. This is a pic he sent me in 2006 of his Elk hat.

Attachments

• Big antlerless elk.JPG
    Big antlerless elk.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 639
Big Fin- those are awesome pics. I can't wait for the episode, I'm sure its a good one. Did someone on this site make those or sell them?

Nope, not affiliated with the site or the show. A guy who posts here occassionally, Brandenbowhunter, is involved with them.

Like all the products we use, they have to work, or we don't use them. Affiliated with the show, or not, we are going to promote the stuff that works, even if we don't make any money from doing so.

I know ....... that's what all the other shows do, also. ;)

One thought, the cow decoy should probably be turned around to look at the 'lope and not the hunter.;)

Yeah, I was trying to get that cow to turn around, but it was mostly interested in stomping me into the dirt. Troy was just off the picture, to the right. He was asking if I intended to shoot the antelope by choice, or an angry cow in self-defense.

Will be one of the funniest pieces of footage of the entire season. Bugler was falling over laughing as he watched from afar.

Randy,

thanks for the kind words about the decoy. Tip. Next season, use a decoy on your cameraman too. I can get you some more of them, we made some into doe hats, you can tick bucks off working in twos.

An internet friend has been using them for some time now. This is a pic he sent me in 2006 of his Elk hat.

We are sorking on that one, your buddy sent up this pic...here is what I did with ours this year....We are working on mule deer too...
Hunting2010014.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back