Missouri Bucks

xrayts

Thought I would share this year's bucks so far. Both deer are Southeast Missouri public land bucks. The first couple of pictures are my firearms buck. The last one is my brother's firearms buck.
I typically hunt a different area in firearms season than bow season. I was exploring an area I've been in before, but not in the last couple of years. When I got down to the bottom, it was covered in large rubs and a couple of scrapes. There were piles of sawdust under the rubs. Needless to say, I focused my attention on that bottom. The next evening, he came in to freshen things up and it was his demise.
I almost always hunt on the ground and this was no exception. I sat between two trees about 30 yards from a dry creek bed that led down to the lake. I stayed all day and eventually I saw him easing down the bottom. He walked behind some trees and disappeared for at least 5 minutes. I had alreafy relaxed because I thought he doubled back and escaped. I grunted and a couple of minutes later he stepped out from behind the trees, crossed the creekbed and headed through the briar-infested bottom. When he cleared the briars, he was 40 yards away and looking directly at me. I let him have it with my .270 WSM. He ran 50 yards and piled up. His green gross score was 146 6/8. He has bladed tines and a "droplet" on the left main beam.
My brother killed the other buck in the last 15 minutes of firearms season. He passed on a lot of deer (14 to be exact) before this one came into view.
It's been a good deer season for both of us. Hopefully, I can fill another tag before bow season ends!

Attachments

• 11-14-10 11.jpg
    11-14-10 11.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 476
  • 11-14-10 12.jpg
    11-14-10 12.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_4300 2.jpg
    IMG_4300 2.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 478
Just as an interesting side note, my brother's buck had 1/2" antler tip broke off into his scalp. I bet it didn't feel very good!

Great looking deer!!! It is fun to see some game from other parts of the country. It looks like Missouri is producing some quality deer.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back