Yeti GOBOX Collection

Dogs running deer!!

streamer

I sat tonight in one of me favorite trees and 1/2 hour before dark had a doe come running out of the swamp, she went right under me, I thought, here we go big boy is right behind her. I was more excited than if been all year, rut is on! Out from the swamp comes 2 dogs one with collar, one without. I went from excited to pissed off in 2 seconds, those 2 dogs chased that deer past me and 15 minutes later the doe circled all the way around the swamp and ran within 60 yards and those dogs were still chasing her. Minn does not allow you to shot dogs chasing deer untill January, but I really wanted to if I could have stopped them. I would like some of your thoughts on this situation.

What does Minn Law say about putting a round, or two, in the dirt, right under their bellies, before Jan ?

At least you don't live in a state where it's legal. I had to deal with that back in Virginia. It sucks, but there's not a lot you can do about it. It's not worth being an arse. Don't shoot the dog. Might think about taking a pellet gun or something that will sting a little, but I doubt that's legal either.

I've had the same thing happen to me before. I thought I was going to lose control but regained it and thought , its not the dogs fault, its his owners fault. Find the owner and take your concerns up with him.

DAWG hunting deer is not legal in TN....hunting a WMA about a mile from a S/D....mailed the collars of a fine looking Collie and Golden to their owners.
That said, their are places it is legal and perhaps would have no chance without dawgs.

Come on now TOM are you kidding me...... i know that its a pain in the butt when something like that happens but did you really shoot them??????? damn lucky they were not mine and like the others said its not the dogs fault its the owner......those are the kind of things that everyone has to deal with its no different then running into another hunter in the woods......man that just pisses me off hearing you shot someones dogs even if they were chaing game.....wow good job you should feel real great

Last edited:
Two years ago during bow season here in WV, we were at the camp ground relaxing on a Sunday afternoon (no hunting on Sundays in WV) when we kept hearing a high pitch bark. I looked out the RV window and could see a nice trophy set of antlers coming across the lake. The biggest whitetail I have ever seen was swimming right to our camp site. Eventually the barking got louder and two large dogs jumped in the lake chasing the deer. The deer put some distance on the dogs in the lake which is around 300 yards across. When the deer got onto the bank and took off, it's back right leg was obviously broke as it was pretty much windmilling around as the deer ran. The dogs turned around half way across the lake and went back. That was about the only time I would have considered shooting a dog as I doubt these dogs had an owner since we were in the middle of a 25k acres area and the only campers that week.

You guys back east come up with the darndest things sometimes. :confused:

A couple of #3 Victor longsprings will settle that issue.....

People that let their dogs run loose dont really give a damn about them anyway. If they cared about them, they would train them to stay around.

You do have to be careful... I mean really. I have hunted hounds for a long time and no matter what a GOOD houndsman does, he'll get a young dog or hell, even an old dog, that will lose their heads and run a deer or elk or moose or mountain goat or ficken Chupacabra now and again... I know quite a few houndsman that will flat out burn your house down if they find out you shot their dog....

Those guys dont WANT their dogs to run deer/elk/chupacabras etc... but it does happen. And the dog usually pays dearly... or deerly.....

As for house dogs and such.... it would be nice to take it up with the owners if you know where they are. If they are A-holes and say, "tough shit"...then you get rid of the dog...

mhungerford, to be direct in answer to your question , YES....both were one shot kills....they were running three doe and a fork horn all of which had their tongues hanging out...I was in a pack in tree stand....even had a doe permit....knew something was wrong even tho dogs were not barking....took the collars off....one had owners name and address other had owners name and phone number...I took the collars placed them in boxes, went to PO that was not my own and mailed with note saying control your dogs or others may....don't bother placing rewards or looking for them...they are DEAD!
I have owned Plots, Blueticks, Redbones, Treeing Walkers, Black and Tans, Beagles, Irish Setters, English Pointers, and Labs....my dogs did not chase deer. I can let my Lab out, without a shock collar, and he will not leave my yard because he was taught where he is allowed to go....he ignores the deer in my back yard.
Train and most important, control your dawg! They are dog loving Red Necks like me out there who may shoot yours....not to mention the three I killed in my teens who were chasing our calves....

Tom you're lucky those weren't my dogs.

Its nothing to let a pointing dog run 300-400 yards or even a bit more out in front of a hunter.

Better make sure the dog you bust doesn't have someone with a shotgun trailing it.

I'm curious how many of you guys let your dogs chase deer? If you don't let them, then it shouldn't concern you.

Dogs are very regularly torched by both citizens and law enforcement for chasing deer and elk here in Colorado. It is perfectly legal to do so. I have yet to hear about someone's hunting dog getting shot. I think you guys are getting worked up about a non-issue.

Oak,

I have had 3 dogs shot by red necks like TOM while i was hunting birds 1 was on a long retrieve when someone like TOM shot him for running under his stand, the 2nd was shot by another RED NECK like TOM who thought it was a fox, the last was shot by yet another RED NECK like TOM with a shotgun for picking up a bird that he had shot and was chasing while my dog picked it up and was attempting to return it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so dont tell me not to get worked up about it i have lost 3 of the best dogs i have ever owned all because of RED NECKS like TOM. AND my dogs listen to me with out shock collars or check cords and yes some dogs do chase deer but like others have said be damn sure what you are shooting. i treat my dogs like family and almost went away for awhile after the 2nd one was shot so once again dont tell me not to get worked up about this.....this one hits close to home for me.

Take your anger out the real killers. Wolves! Don't shoot peoples pets. I know if my lab was shot by a person while out making a 300 yard blind retrieve I would probably go to prison. It would be like taking a family member from me.:mad:

Unfortunately I agree with shooting dogs running deer. The only ones I've encountered were German Shepards and not hunting dogs. Whomever shot your birds dogs was a dumb a$$ to say the least. Last year I had one of the neighborhood dogs run our horses through the fence while the owner looked on and laughed and cheered the dog on. I politely informed him that the law states if his dog is running my livestock I can shoot it and he has no recourse. I looked him straigth in the eyes and told him if his dog was in my pasture again it would be the last time he saw him alive. His dog was never in the pasture since. I do agree its the owners at fault, but if you acquire a vet bill of several hundred dollars your mind may be swayed a little.

Marc, I can understand being pissed if your dogs got shot for no reason. I woud be pissed too. Once again, what we are talking about is dogs running deer. If my dog was shot by someone because it was running deer, I'd be pissed at myself for letting it happen, not for the person that shot it. That is really bad luck to have three dogs shot. Has anyone else here had a dog shot intentionally?

mhungerford - You must have the worst luck of anyone I've seen. I've been around a lot of bird hunting and have never known someone with even one instance like yours, let alone three. In your 3 bad experiences those dogs were not running deer, nor shot for running deer. Since the topic is "dogs running deer" I don't see the correlation with those experiences and the topic of dogs that are running deer?

For the record, I'd probably shoot a dog running deer.....even if it was my own!

3 dogs over 17 years and all 3 dogs were goldens.... and as for dogs running deer i am not for it but too shoot 1 because you are mad it put an end to your day hunting i am not for that now if i was to see a dog over and over i would make an attempt to have the right people take care of the problem not take it into my own hands. now horses and cattle different story in my eyes the rancher should do what he or she sees fit in the situation.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back