Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How Big Is This Ram?

Gerald Martin

Here's some pics I took today of a ram while I was hunting with my boss for his sheep.

This wasn't the biggest ram we saw today, but he was the only decent one I got pictures of. I'd like to hear some opinions from some of you guys who are more experienced sheep hunters.

All the pics are of the same ram.

I'm giving him 172-174". Am I in the ball park?

Attachments

• DJ's sheep hunt 027.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 027.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,349
  • DJ's sheep hunt 028.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 028.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,370
  • DJ's sheep hunt 030.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 030.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,351
  • DJ's sheep hunt 031.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 031.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,365
  • DJ's sheep hunt 032.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 032.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,344
  • DJ's sheep hunt 033.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 033.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,335
What state? Doesn't look to have big bases at all and he's pretty tight curled. Decent length maybe 34". Could be mid to high 160's depending on bases. What are the bases like on other sheep killed in the unit? I'm fairly certain he won't bust 170 but if it's a MT ram, it's probably 185+ :)

This is my guess... its a nice looking ram though, score isn't everything.

x2
32 and 34

Well guys I am way off from what you guys think. I have killed 7 rams and been on a dozen other kills and I believe he is a 175+ ram easy. It would not surprise me to see him over 180 as well. Hard to tell with the pictures but he is not what I consider tight curled at all. Big bases and holds his mass fairly well. Maybe I am off my rocker but where I come from (ALberta) we kill those ones!

I would agree that he looks to be about 175, depending a lot on the base measurements. It is hard to know unless you really know the characteristics of the sheep in the area. What unit?

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's another one for you to give me some ideas on. Let me know how big he is.

DJ had this ram @ 30 yards with his bow. I gave him hand signals from across the canyon to guide him in. Unfortunately this ram's buddy heard DJ clink a rock and was on full alert when DJ rose up at full draw. As soon as they saw his head they bolted without looking back. Fun stuff but so frustrating stalking with all the shale and open country.

I think this ram is on the high side of 175". If I had to guess an exact score, I'd say 178". Do you agree, disagree????

Shortside, check your p.m.

Attachments

• DJ's sheep hunt 001.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 001.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,074
Last edited:
scan0010-2.jpg

A Montana ram I helped a friend with back in the late 80's....this ram is 179 7/8.

smaller bases

bases don't look big enough to break 170. Nice ram though.

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's another one for you to give me some ideas on. Let me know how big he is.

DJ had this ram @ 30 yards with his bow. I gave him hand signals from across the canyon to guide him in. Unfortunately this ram's buddy heard DJ clink a rock and was on full alert when DJ rose up at full draw. As soon as they saw his head they bolted without looking back. Fun stuff but so frustrating stalking with all the shale and open country.

I think this ram is on the high side of 175". If I had to guess an exact score, I'd say 178". Do you agree, disagree????

Shortside, check your p.m.

That last pic is awsome. Was it through a spotting scope?

That last pic is awsome. Was it through a spotting scope?

Schmalts, Funny you should ask. Yes, that just happened to be taken through my $250 model Theron at 15 power. Pic was at about 250 yards and I used the 6 power zoom on my camera. Did I ever mention that I love my spotting scope? :)

BreaksRunner, was that 170 estimate for the last ram I posted a picture of or the first? I think I may be being a bit optimistic with the score on some of these sheep. I'm really trying to get a feel for what size we're looking at. With the bow DJ will be more than happy with a sheep like that last one. If he switches to the rifle at some point I don't want to be telling him a sheep is in the 180 range and find out its only 170.

My main point of experience with the sheep in this unit is from a ram my wife killed in 2006. This is what I've been basing my estimates off of.

Score was 169 6/8 with 15 3/4" bases and 33 1/2" length.

Attachments

• March07 249.jpg
    March07 249.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:
The one bedded was the one I thought would go 170. The other one is probably low 170's max?...pretty good rams.

Be choosey and hold out till rut...then you'll know whats running around in there..the meat sux that late, but the big rams will show up to do their thing.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back