Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Do mulies migrate?

SuburbanHunter

Last year while elk hunting, I was astounded at the number and quality of the mule deer I saw. They were big and they were plentiful. Of course it was late elk season (early December) and deer season was over.

Are these same mulies likely to be in same area in October and November when it is deer season?

In some of the areas out here, they migrate out of the areas I do my late season elk hunting in, earlier in the year they are all over, when the snow starts to fly, you won't find another track in the whole area until it melts good...

Ha!Ha!Ha!.. That OSOK.. he is such a kidder...

Muley's will move to and from a given area depending on the depth of snow and the availability of food. Does generally move every year if they have somewhere close by to move to. They need more chow to support the fawns growing inside them than the old guard bucks do. So don't necesarrily count on finding them in the same place during the season next year.

:cool:

as stated before by danr55--weather and food availability are the keys to muley migration--most mtn bucks skeedaddle when snow gets to be belly deep on them and they will/can/may move a pretty fair distance also---bucks that reside in lower country may not migrate at all---chris

They do migrate pretty far. Some does that were radio collared in No. UT (Southwest of Bear Lake) on winter range spent the summers north of Soda Springs, ID! Another nearby area has very few deer until the snow stacks up in WY and the deer come from up to 20miles away to winter in this area.

Mule deer that live in the mountains generally migrate. Those that live in prairie or low sage brush country pretty much stay put year' round.

Back