Yeti GOBOX Collection

New member and a rookie out west

rick3060

Hello to all, I'm a new member from south Georgia that's traveled a lot for whitetail and turkey but never traveled west for other game. I have been researching my butt off on when, where, and how and it's so overwhelming!!! I recently traveled out to Nebraska for some Merriam turkey hunting and fell head over heels in love with antelope and muledeer. All the hunting I have done has been over the counter or easy draw. This western hunting with hard draws, so many units, and preference points is to much for this redneck! I own my own business so taking time off is not a problem... heck, I hunt south east kansas the whole month of November if needed. So here's some questions..... how does one learn about what state? What unit? I would like to take advantage of as much as possible ( elk, mule deer, antelope and possibly more). Is there anybody that offers a service for fees in assisting folks like me other than outfitters? Is there any states and areas I can just over the counter some tags? Thanks in advance.

Welcome.

This forum has all the information you could ever need about these western states and their draw systems, just a matter of reading the threads that have the gems you are looking for. The best place to look is in the forum titled "Tags, Applications, and Drawings." That is where you will find volumes of information that should give you some starting points.

Best of luck.

Welcome!! Most of Colorado has OTC tags for archery elk and antelope, as well as OTC rifle tags for elk during second and third rifle seasons. The way the archery seasons coincide for antelope and elk, you can do both in CO in one trip out here. Montana usually has a good amount of leftover tags for elk and mule deer. Wyoming usually has leftovers too. The draw systems aren't that hard once you get your feet wet and learn them. Start applying for points in as many states as you can. Many deer units in Colorado can be drawn with 1 or 2 points for archery and muzzleloader tags. Wyoming is your best bet for trophy quality for antelope, but many units have cut way back on tag allocations because of winterkills and drought. Be sure to post up some pics and stories of your hunts, even if they are from back East.

You have come to the right place for a bunch of guys to lead you in the right direction. My son and I are going on our first OTC drop camp elk hunt in Colorado this November. Good Lord willing we will have some great experiences to share. Welcome!

Thank you guys for all the responses. I just can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to know what units and tags to apply for when I know nothing about the units. I'm just so used to buying a licence and hunting with no planning, I guess I'm just overwhelmed. I have called some state offices with little to no help from them. Is there any states that I could just visit without planning and hunt? I know that sounds lazy but I'm new to all this and any help would be appreciated. I could trade some help and guidance for some gator and hog hunting if someone is intrested.

Thank you guys for all the responses. I just can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to know what units and tags to apply for when I know nothing about the units. I'm just so used to buying a licence and hunting with no planning, I guess I'm just overwhelmed. I have called some state offices with little to no help from them. Is there any states that I could just visit without planning and hunt? I know that sounds lazy but I'm new to all this and any help would be appreciated. I could trade some help and guidance for some gator and hog hunting if someone is intrested.

Montana has a good chunk of its land that falls under the general tag. You could buy the nonresident big game combo, pick a district in region 3 (most are under a general tag, just check the regs) and go hunting. Instead of scouting via the internet you can go back to the same place year after year and learn it that way... success may not come right away, but you will be hunting!

I would look at CO for an OTC tag, if you just want to show up and hunt. Wyoming might take a little more time and effort, unless you can get a leftover tag and just go.

I would also suggest looking at one animal first. Yes, it would be good to get two or even three in one trip, but IMO, Wyoming will get you a better antelope, where CO might be easier to get an elk tag and go hunting. Just depends on what you want.

In Idaho you can literally just show up, buy good tags and hunt. Very few states are like that. What species are you after?

Colorado for OTC elk - just drive out on a whim, go to the National Forest of your choice that falls within one of the OTC units (there are a ton, check map on CPW website), stop at the ranger district office on a weekday and maybe you'll get some good information from the front desk or maybe even the range guy/gal. that is the no-plan way I can think of. Colorado OTC elk tags can be had for archery and 2nd and 3rd rifle bull elk seasons.

You can probably do the same thing in Idaho. Plenty of OTC tags there for both deer and elk.

Try and get your hands on the summer (I believe) copy of Extreme Elk Magazine. They did a comparison of all the OTC options for elk in CO, ID, and MT. That will give you a good bit of info as well.

good luck.

Lots of leftover deer(archery and muzzleloader) tags and javelina(archery and any weapon) here in NM. I could use a trip to south Georgia for a few big gobblers...

welcome aboard

You may want to start getting Eastman's hunting journal they cover a lot of the western state and break down the units.

I'm not after any specific game but would like to eventually hunt them all... I figured I would start with antelope. I'm going to check into Idaho. What's a list of good magazines I should go ahead and subscribe to for western hunting? Im headed to Kansas the first week of October and could spend some more time further west.... so I could show up and hunt Co. And Idaho ? And I love to hunt with company even if they are strangers so anyone who wants to sweat there tail off in south Georgia is welcome..... you won't leave being a stranger.... you might even drink sweet tea and eat grits after you visit! But thank you guys for the info. I can't get anything like this anywhere else.

I'm not after any specific game but would like to eventually hunt them all... I figured I would start with antelope. I'm going to check into Idaho. What's a list of good magazines I should go ahead and subscribe to for western hunting? Im headed to Kansas the first week of October and could spend some more time further west.... so I could show up and hunt Co. And Idaho ? And I love to hunt with company even if they are strangers so anyone who wants to sweat there tail off in south Georgia is welcome..... you won't leave being a stranger.... you might even drink sweet tea and eat grits after you visit! But thank you guys for the info. I can't get anything like this anywhere else.

I'd knife someone for a good plate of shrimp and grits right now. I grew up just east of you...

Can't find grits in the grocery store out here. Not even the instant kind.

I'd knife someone for a good plate of shrimp and grits right now. I grew up just east of you...

Can't find grits in the grocery store out here. Not even the instant kind.

Isn't it called "masa harina" in your (red)neck of the woods? :D

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back