Favorite broadhead?

I used Thunderhead 125's for years and was very happy with them. Switched to G5 Striker 100 gr. a couple years ago when I changed bow and arrows. Two of them whistled right through a nice bull last year and landed 15-20 yds beyond. The bull only went about 40 yds.

Slick Tricks all the way. I have shot Montecs (dont fly like my field points and seem to be a bit more erratic), shuttle Ts (not sharp enough), and several other brands. The Slick Trick standard and magnums are the way to go for me.

Im old school.......shoot a recurve. My favs are the Magnus 125grain 2 blade. Also like the Zwickey 2 blade.

Boring old Thunderhead 100's here. They work great on elk, deer, antelope, bear and pigs.

Hope to prove them on a stinky old billy goat in 6 weeks!

I guess I'll be "that guy" that shoots 2 blade rages. I tried the 3 blade but on the two deer I shot only 2 blades deployed. I've only used them on whitetail.

JDH, thanks for sticking your neck out ! :D I knew one of us "easterners" would do it! I shot old hand sharpened Bear razorheads for years in my recurve. Then went to Rage 2 blades in new compound. They worked great for whitetails. Last year I took up elk hunting and bought into the fixed blade camp for elk and got slicktricks. Honestly I don't know why guys don't shoot mechanicals for elk very much. ??

I have been using Thunderhead XP's 100gr. since they have come out, love that there cut on contact and you can replace the blades, fly just like my field points, no broadhead tuning needed, shot them with 3 different mathew's bows, and for $20 a 3 pack on ebay you can't beat them. I have shot Deer, Antelope, Elk and have had 0 problems....
Matt

Fixed blade only for deer and elk.

#1-Snuffer 145's are my favorite.

#2-Snuffer 125's.

#3-Old Magnus 2 blade. Killed two deer last year with them.

#4 Tie between Magnus Stinger 125 and Razortrick. Practiced with them late last year as I couldn't get my Snuffers to fly well. Both nice broadheads COC.

I will be trying my Snuffers out of my new arrows and if they fly well, I will be back to them. If I can pave the wave through the boiler room with a 145 Snuffer tipped 340 FMJ, the forest floor should like a crime scene.

I am trying the QAD Exodus, 100grn, swept blade this year. So far I have been really impressed with the accuracy, penetration, and I didn't realize how much noise my Slick Tricks made until I shot these.

Wow! I started looking these up online and they do look impressive! They look accurate and people say penetration is outstanding. I may have to try these.

JDH, thanks for sticking your neck out ! :D I knew one of us "easterners" would do it! I shot old hand sharpened Bear razorheads for years in my recurve. Then went to Rage 2 blades in new compound. They worked great for whitetails. Last year I took up elk hunting and bought into the fixed blade camp for elk and got slicktricks. Honestly I don't know why guys don't shoot mechanicals for elk very much. ??

I guess what holds me back is the fear they won't penetrated well enough, if they hit bone will they deflect? It may be ignorance on my part but I just wouldn't want to take a chance on an elk. I think those that do use them on elk should speak up, cause if they work well I'd be interested. They are supposed to fly like a field point.

I think I might have just found my favorite broadhead. Anarchy 2 blade heads.....They are made here in Oregon and they are worth checking out IMO. I am not in any way affiliated with them I just really like what I have seen so far.

I've been shooting Slick Trick Magnum XL's the last couple years. They have got the job done but I decided I wanted to switch to a cut on contact type head this spring. Ordered two packs of Muzzy MX 4's and liked the look of them but they don't fly well for me and on the numerous instances I missed the target completely they pretty much self destructed. Not the kind of thing that gives me confidence. I saw the Anarchy's mentioned on Ifish and decided to give them a try. Sharpest head I've ever owned! Fly exactly like field points and for me that is not a normal situation. I fight most broadheads!

Wow! I started looking these up online and they do look impressive! They look accurate and people say penetration is outstanding. I may have to try these.

So far I have been impressed. They consistently punched up to the fletchings into my almost new block. My ST Mags tip just pierces the back skin at the same range (40yds). They don't make a noise in flight either.

We'll see how they do this fall.

Honestly I don't know why guys don't shoot mechanicals for elk very much. ??

This has been my experience and my opinion:

We tried to compare shuttle T's with rage 2 blade last year (along with some others)...

* The shuttle t's flew better than rages (and others) for 4 out of 4 of us (out to 120 yards, 4 different setups).
* The rages kept breaking into several pieces after multiple shots into broadhead (foam) targets - some after only 2 shots! Used the same few shuttles the entire test.
* Penetration was several inches less with the rages in brand new foam target.
* The rages couldn't fully penetrate a 5/8" sheet of plywood at 40 yards. Brand new one each try. Harder or softer than an elk rib???
* We ran out of rages before we even got to the cinder block and 55 gal drum at 40 yard tests!!

This was just my experience with one brand of mechanical, but I am not going to trust my elk hunt to something that can't even survive the backyard...
That being said - they are probably just fine for whitetails, just not very tough.

Another side note: Ramcats performed very well also as far as accuracy and penetration, just not as tough as the shuttles.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back