Yeti GOBOX Collection

Father Son Elk Trip Questions

BrokeTrapDad

Well not sure were to start and Im sure or at least hoping Im going to get lots of comments and suggestions. Ok so for the obvious questions first
1. Where? i.e. Idaho,Monanta,Colorado,Oregon,etc. etc. looking for a area that's not a lifetime draw would prefer over the counter?
2. Ok so now we have narrowed the state down, what area's / zones / units..
3. just a note will be 1st time elk hunting, but I am a experienced deer hunter..
4. keep in mind will only have a week vacation to get this hunt in!

I know this is vague but I need to start planning for next year and I am hoping for lots of legitimate advise on at lest someplace to start my planning.

You are essentially guaranteed a tag in both Montana and Colorado (100% draw odds, leftovers, or OTC). Plenty of elk in both. Lots of good areas in SW and central(ish) Montana that have good opportunities for elk. I have no experience with Colorado though. I wouldn't expect to get specific unit recommendations. However, you can find harvest reports for both states online, which should give you an idea of what to expect for success rates and how much company you might expect to see in the woods.

1. Where are you located and how long will it take you to get to various locations (Montana, Colorado, Idaho)
2. The answer to #1 matters here, but in general each state offers a ton of OTC opportunity to get your feet wet.
3. As a general rule, that harder you work, the better chance of success. Once you select a general area (unit) get a Forest Service/BLM map and overlay it with the motor vehicle use map. Find areas away from roads, get off the beaten path. When elk are hunted they want to be safe, that often means the steepest, darkest hole on the map you can find.
4. A week is enough time, but it will likely cut into your scouting time. For this reason, I would stick with the shortest commute. Give yourself at least one day to set up camp and scout. It can go both ways thought, do you plan for 2 days scouting and 5 hunting, or go for 7 days hunting and in the event you see something the season is open. I like the former if I am in a new area as it gives me time to call and audible if necessary.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

1. Where are you located and how long will it take you to get to various locations (Montana, Colorado, Idaho)

-------]Im in Northern California just south of Sacramento area. Id prefer Idaho as a 1st choice!-------

2. The answer to #1 matters here, but in general each state offers a ton of OTC opportunity to get your feet wet.

--------Ive looked at there DFG sites and its just overwellming that's why Im hoping to at least get a headstart of what todo! ---------

3. As a general rule, that harder you work, the better chance of success. Once you select a general area (unit) get a Forest Service/BLM map and overlay it with the motor vehicle use map. Find areas away from roads, get off the beaten path. When elk are hunted they want to be safe, that often means the steepest, darkest hole on the map you can find.

------------Im good with that, I don't mind working the ground once there! I have a UTV Ranger hoping to cover some ground to get off the beaten path with that, then get on foot! -------------

4. A week is enough time, but it will likely cut into your scouting time. For this reason, I would stick with the shortest commute. Give yourself at least one day to set up camp and scout. It can go both ways thought, do you plan for 2 days scouting and 5 hunting, or go for 7 days hunting and in the event you see something the season is open. I like the former if I am in a new area as it gives me time to call and audible if necessary.

----------------Ill like the former as well Ill have to be doing some hunting while scouting I don't like to miss a opportunity if it comes up! ---------------

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

-------Thanks for any help you can give.... I guess the biggest thing I need is a unit that is a OTC and has public land.. Then I can start the map searches find a plan and where to camp and start from there! ------------

myanswer are in the body of your quote

The Idaho Hunt Planner is a pretty good tool as it lets you select areas by county, city region etc. So much of Idaho is public land so there are plenty of options. Most units in Idaho are OTC, but I'm not great on the specifics of each.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/huntplanner/huntplanner.aspx

I've driven to Montana the past two year (from the Bay Area), SW Montana has tons of options as well and loads of public land. There are several mountain ranges in which you can hunt, the Beaverheads, east/west Pioneers, Snowcrest, Ruby, Tobacco Roots, Gravelly, Madison. All have lots of public land, and are OTC.

It can be overwhelming, there is a ton of data and it is tough to determine what it all means. Find a general area, scout on the internet, and just go. The last two years I've been shooting at elk. Each year was in a different area. If you go, and put in the effort you'll have a good chance at success but more importantly you'll have an awesome time with your son.

Since you are from CA and close to the Bay Area, we're hosting the Hunting Film Tour in Danville on Friday night. Come check it out if you can, and I'd be happy to talk more about elk hunting and what I have experienced in Montana.

https://www.facebook.com/events/410695199072686/

I hunt the Clearwater Country of Idaho, OTC tag, still some left. I have some room in my elk camp. PM me if you'd like to talk.

One bit of info, your UTV is illegal every where in Idaho except on private ground, or on roads open to all traffic. The only legal side by side is the Polaris RZR 800.

I can tell you right now, the wolves and lack of any timber harvest have really played hell with the elk numbers in western MT. The farther east you go the less wolves and the numbers are better. One you get pretty much East of the Continental Divide the elk numbers go up. There are elk all over eastern MT now that weren't there 20 years ago. Unfortunately I haven't hunted over there except for the Missouri Breaks for the last 15 years, and don't know specifics about the availability of open hunting areas. There used to be a lot of elk in the Little Belts, and Big Belts.

One week for an elk hunt? First time? Consider Colorado GMU 3 (GMU 3,4,5,214,301,441) COW elk, or GMU 54 BULL elk, 1st limited rifle. 5-day hunt. Zero points to draw. (I actually drew as my second choice...used no priority points.) Tried both once, gotta elk each time. Can't complain, right? Be aware that with elk populations near goal some of these hunts may not be available...check DOW when applying. If'n you draw, PM me and I can give ya some areas to check out. I'm from out of state (MASS) so my info is not totally up to date...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back